Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Can't go over 75mph

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2018, 7:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't go over 75mph

Well I seem to have a 2013 Chevy Express that has a governor or similar on it. I tried many times yesterday to get it to go over 75 on the highway and it won't do it. I figure this might have been a company owned vehicle that they restricted the drivers speed to no more than 75mph. Has anyone else purchased a used Express or other and run into this? How does one get rid of this restriction?
Old December 19th, 2018, 2:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

you have to go to the dealer

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...limiter-44668/
Old December 19th, 2018, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Ah the usual reply. Pay the extortion money to the dealer to get what you need. That sucks!
Old December 19th, 2018, 7:48 PM
Super Moderator

That does suck. But the old way was a mechanical limiter in the transmission, which might have sucked more.
It's definitely cheaper for them to limit it in the computer. If you do inquire about it, please let us know how much they want. Other high end auto shops might have the tools do it.

I bet you wish whoever sold it to you told you about this "feature".
Old December 19th, 2018, 9:12 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's in the owner's manual I believe.
Old December 20th, 2018, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

I called the local Chevy dealer and here is the scam they want to pull. Seeing I also need a few key fobs programmed, I figured I would add that to the list. So to program the FOB's it is $69.99 and then to remove the speed lock out, it is an additional $120.00! Say what? So they have to charge me for two separate issues where they most likely use the same computer program for the work??
Old December 20th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Well that's the same logic as saying they use the same wrench to drop the transmission as they do to remove the wheel lug nuts ... they shouldn't charge me twice.

But yes, the price seems a bit steep. That's the stealership for ya. At least you know there are qualified people working on your car and not some high school drop out with no training and a drug problem. (at least not at the one I go to).

If you want to do it yourself, you'll have to remortgage the house to afford the tools and then read manual the size of a bible to learn how to use them.
Old December 20th, 2018, 12:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Somebody in another thread was able to get fobs done through a locksmith for less money.

You might try some better service garages. My 02 3500 had to have a whole new computer put in it when I first got it three years ago and they had to have that programmed. No dealer was involved, although I still paid way too much for the work. So I have to think people other than the dealer could alter the programming. Unless GM's changed that somehow too.

(Thanks to road salt, the case had corroded to where it allowed water to get inside. When dry it would run fine. When wet, well, that was another story. GM couldn't have just left them under the seat like the G-vans...)
Old December 20th, 2018, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Spoke with another dealer. They quoted a rate of $130 plus tax to program the FOBs and remove the speed limiter.
I did initially talk with a locksmith for just the FOBs and they wanted $80 to program them. But now with two programming issues, it does look like a dealer I will have to go and just let them do it all.
Old December 20th, 2018, 4:59 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds pretty reasonable. Most shops will charge $100 minimum just to look at your car.