Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Changing tow capacity of chevy express 3500 vans

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2020, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing tow capacity of chevy express 3500 vans

Hey all,
I currently have a 2006 Express 3500 van that I regularly use to haul my trailer.

I'm looking to update my vehicle to a newer used Express 3500, but am confused by recent tow ratings...since 2018, the official tow capacity of these vans seems to have dropped significantly. Talking to a dealer, they say that they can mod one of the 2019 vans to make it pull 9600#, but they won't tell me what they have to do to make it happen (weird).

Can anyone explain to me the changing tow ratings for these vehicles? Somewhat related question: would it be a good idea to wait for the 6.6L V8 to come out hoping that prices drop for the later model vans as people upgrade?

Thanks
Old August 3rd, 2020, 3:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The only thing I see changing the to capacity for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck are the brakes and the ratio of the rear end. From what I have experienced with my trucks, the high tow cap trucks have 4.10 gears and 10,000 GVW hydro boost brakes, next down would be 3.71 gears and 8600 GVW brakes, then to the standard 3.42 ratio and 7000 GVW brakes. This has been my experience with OBS and NBS trucks, a gear change and adding hydro boost brakes are something that can be done to them. I'm not familiar with the 2019 trucks but I would think it would be something similar.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Yes...my understanding is that previous years had different gear ratios options...I don't see those options in later model Express vans. Seems that 3.42 is the only option I'm seeing. TrailerLife tow guide, additionally, used to list the gear ratios and their various tow ratings...but I don't see that in the most recent few years.

TrailerLife for recent years, as well, only notes that tow package is required to pull their stated 9400# for the 3500 passenger van, but I don't see a reference as to what is included in the tow package.
Old August 4th, 2020, 1:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

When the federalies in my country pull you over they go by the original load capacity rating stickers on the door and in the glove box. no argument is going to convince them any different.

ie. my 2500 has a tow rating of 9000...if it had a higher ratio rear end its rated for 11000. In British Columbia..going thru the mountains...if you are overweight...they won't let you move
Old August 4th, 2020, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
When the federalies in my country pull you over they go by the original load capacity rating stickers on the door and in the glove box. no argument is going to convince them any different.

ie. my 2500 has a tow rating of 9000...if it had a higher ratio rear end its rated for 11000. In British Columbia..going thru the mountains...if you are overweight...they won't let you move
AFAIK, the structural components of the Express 3500 can handle the maximum weight. The major change on recent model Express vans to drive-train since 2006 (my current vehicle) seems to be the adoption of a standard 3.42 gear ratio and a 6 speed gear box, rather than the old 4 speed. I suspect the the 6-speed gearbox requires an additional transmission cooler to obtain the maximum tow rating and perhaps a change to the breaks.

The dealers that I've talked to have been shifty about this...either they don't know or they don't want to tell.
Old August 4th, 2020, 10:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Paul,

If you are looking at the 4.3L V6 or the baby-Diesel, then the tow ratings are not great, but the 6.0L passenger 3500 is 9600# and the cargo version is 10000# ... No mods required (based on published 2019 literature). If the vehicle is placarded differently, then you'll have to go with that. What were the pre-2006 tow ratings?

Check the link for the 2019 GM Trailering Guide... https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ring-guide.pdf

I hope they drop the new 6.6L gasser in the 2021 Express.
Old August 4th, 2020, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

I don't know about pre-2006, but these vehicles all show about 9600# depending upon the gear ratio, until a few years ago. If you just do a google search of "20XX year Chevy Express 3500 van" where 20XX is the year you care about, the tow ratings are ~9000# until 2017. Then they drop down significantly, into 6000-7000#. Of course, google seems to be referencing cars.com info pages, which seemingly are inaccurate.

I'm glad you referenced the chevy guide...I saw this note:
"The standard base cooling system includes all content required to attain maximum trailer weight rating. No optional cooling equipment is available. The Heavy-Duty Trailering Equipment Package (Z82) includes trailer hitch platform and 7-wire trailer wiring harness"

The cooling info is good to know. As well, they all have the 3.42 gear ratio...curious how the tow rating is maintained with the same 6L V8 engine? Or is the Vortec substantially different than the older 6L V8 LS engine? Maybe the 6-speed provides a better power curve that pulls better?

See...so many questions. Real shame the dealers don't know the answers to all this...

And here is the announcement about the 6.6L V8: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/03...v8-gas-engine/

Last edited by Paul Dalach; August 4th, 2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old August 4th, 2020, 2:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The towing package is literally just a hitch and a trailer wire harness; you can add that in an afternoon (see the links below). The stock transmission cooler does a descent job, and I've found it to be sufficient most of the time. However, when I'm towing our ~7600# travel trailer on hot days in the hills, it's not uncommon for me to see 220-240 degree transmission fluid temps. Those are uncomfortable temps for me. I've read several things that support my concerns and others that claim that those numbers are fine. I've seriously considered a transmission cooler upgrade, but haven't done anything about it yet.

Here are a couple threads where I talked about what I bought...
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...71/#post391826
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...o-94512/page2/