Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Dashboard storage modification

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2019, 3:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dashboard storage modification

I need help with an annoyance. The two dash 'cubby' storage areas above and below the center vents are basically useless unless there is a away to keep the little items from falling out. I already added a rubber lining to the bottom of each cubby. What can I do to these small cavities to keep the pens, tire gauges, chargers, cell phone cables, receipts, and other easily misplaced accessories from falling out???

Old August 24th, 2019, 3:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

I find that sunglasses make a nice friction fit in the cubbies. I put my Scangauge in the other. That's about it.

I you felt really annoyed, I suppose you could fashion some kind of door with hinges and magnets.

Just be aware that whatever you put it there may become airborn towards your face at high velocity.
Old August 24th, 2019, 6:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cjm1973
I need help with an annoyance. The two dash 'cubby' storage areas above and below the center vents are basically useless unless there is a away to keep the little items from falling out. I already added a rubber lining to the bottom of each cubby. What can I do to these small cavities to keep the pens, tire gauges, chargers, cell phone cables, receipts, and other easily misplaced accessories from falling out???

I drilled a 3/4" hole in the left side of each of those storage areas and through the hole I have had a USB cable with a female socket. On one hole I keep a USB Stick, sometime an extra portable battery for the phone, the other I keep a recorder plugged in and fully charged in case I need to use it ASAP. Works great and they do not go anywhere. At one time I was keeping a spare phone there for Mobile Wifi but I no longer need to do that. I don't mind the storage. Just don't put too many things in there and expect it all to stay. Rubber is an option. I bought Rubber for mine, but never bothered putting it in. Velcro is another option.

Last edited by dberladyn; August 24th, 2019 at 6:29 PM.
Old August 24th, 2019, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious what year is your van ?
I only have 1 of those bins were yours has 2 ?
Old August 24th, 2019, 9:39 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Teammuir1b
I am curious what year is your van ?
I only have 1 of those bins were yours has 2 ?
The newer vans from MAYBE 2008 and up have two bins among other minor changes that came with an electronics upgrade across the entire product line I believe.
Old August 24th, 2019, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Mine is 2006... and if it has the same head light switch as mine then i would say it would fit.... im thinkin 2010 they changed the instrument cluster but its still the same deminsions......but i think the head light switched was changed....
Old August 25th, 2019, 1:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my 2005 only has one and the lower ones location is just a flat area ,

I was thinking of putting a sheet of Velcro on the flat area and maybe a couple pockets for pens , combs etc

I like the idea of USB charger in the top hole and maybe a lip to keep the charging phones etc from sliding out....
Old August 25th, 2019, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Im gonna have to make another trip to the junk yard and look around....
Old August 25th, 2019, 9:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Teammuir1b
Im gonna have to make another trip to the junk yard and look around....
take some pictures . and look how much room behind the holes is available if you wanted to put 12v sockets thru the back for phone chargers etc.

Thanks
Old August 29th, 2019, 7:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have two on my '16. I'm sure with enough tools, we could make a few more cubby's for ya, Ron.

Quick Reply: Dashboard storage modification