Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Driver side door mirror shake

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2014, 3:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver side door mirror shake

Does anyone have a cure for the door mirror shaking? (This is a non-power mirror - ya roll down the window and do it the hard way!)

The whole damned assembly shakes - NOT just the glass! The shaking makes identifying a vehicle behind/beside you almost impossible ("Is that a police car? Is that a truck? Is that an orangutan riding a skateboard?"). The passenger side door mirror does NOT do this, the rear view (interior) mirror does NOT do this.

Yes, the van does have 'load range E' tire shake - which is common for commercial tires but that issue doesn't magically affect only one of three mirrors. I've read on other websites of other Express vans with the same issue on the driver side door mirror.

Any cures?
Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run load range e tires and have never had any shake or vibration.
If you take apart the mirror, there may be a way to tighten the ball joint it moves on. However you may need to break and replace the glass to do it.....not sure.
One of mine wiggles a bit more than the other, but I havent had an issue with it.
Old December 4th, 2014, 3:38 AM
CF Active Member

Don't think tightening the glass would help - when I say the WHOLE thing shakes I mean the WHOLE MIRROR - plastic & all from the door surface on out. Do you have to break the glass to remove the entire assembly?!?!
Old December 4th, 2014, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

I only said that since I had one of my mirrors fall off...lol. The silicone failed and bam, no pass side mirror. When I looked at the mechanism that the glass fits to, it seemed that the only way to get to it is without the glass in place, but I have never tried, so not sure.
It could also be flexing at the joint that allows you to push the mirrors in when parking on a narrow street. Maybe see if you can tighten that or feed something into the joint.
Old December 5th, 2014, 7:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if its the entire mirror from the door out; check the 3 nuts that secure the mirror to the door....or is it at the pivot for the folding mirror?

Old December 6th, 2014, 5:23 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks, will do. Is there room to put some fender washers, etc on the studs to help stiffen the mirror mounting area? It's looks like the entire door panel at the mounting area flexes.

Either way - knowing that it has mounting like Blazers/Jimmys/etc helps. I'll pull the interior panel out this weekend, eyeball it & hopefully it's an easy fix.
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

The mirror mounts on the pillar, i can't see how it would flex there....but hey, I haven't really checked.
Old December 9th, 2014, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

I heard the problem is aerodynamic. The wind buffeting the mirror.

My 2000 1500 express driver's side mirror shakes at speeds over 45mph. I have electric ones that are solidly mounted to the door and the mirrors are solid inside the housings.

Let us know what you find out when you open it all up!

Last edited by Okole; December 9th, 2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old December 20th, 2014, 9:17 AM
CF Active Member

Well, it wasn't the mounts. They were tight & after a 're snug' are still tight... I only found two studs w/ nuts - not three as mentioned above. I don't really want to drive sheet metal screws through the damned thing but how the hell do I stop this mirror from shaking?!

Yep, will try jamming something into swivel joint.

Last edited by lunghd; December 20th, 2014 at 9:19 AM.
Old December 20th, 2014, 6:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

have you tried putting you hand on different parts of the mirror when its vibrating to see if you can isolate the source

fyi there is a tsb to replace the mirrors for this concern; what year is your van

your missing a nut, lol .I have never seen a truck or van with only 2 mirror studs.

Last edited by tech2; December 20th, 2014 at 6:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Driver side door mirror shake