Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The ELM/Torque thread

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2019, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Believe what you want. I lived this. I was connected to car phones before cellular was a thing. I installed MTS & IMTS phones. And I did it in one of the two test cities for cellular phones. I installed 1st & 2nd generation cellular car phones before portable phones were popular, or could fit in a pocket. All you can do is find current information and cut and paste.
Old November 13th, 2019, 5:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

The appeal is that for $2 you can read and clear trouble codes, get the tranny temp etc. You can pay $70 if you want but I don’t think you get that much. I don’t think the OBDLink doesn’t gets you gmlan stuff. Everything is CAN now including legislated OBD.
Old November 13th, 2019, 7:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VP2019
Hi,

I have a 2010 3500 GMC van, and want to be able to see some of the same temps as several others in this thread.

Yours is the first post I've seen that showed the Trans Temp displayed on a 2008+ van.

But I'm wondering why several posts on here seem to show preference for what seem like very out-of-the-mainstream ELM327 OBD readers from far-off places, when there are many much less expensive alternatives on Amazon, etc., ranging from the inexpensive but highly rated Bafx OBD2 Scanner (B005NLQAHS ~$23) to the ScanTool OBDLink MX (B07JFRFJG6 ~$70), which is able to read the proprietary GM CANBUS and has some other features.

Has anybody on here tried either of these on a 2008+ GM van?

Thanks!
Hi, if you read this entire thread you'll see I'm the only fan of the original ELM 327 chip. Try what MMJ says, buy a cheapie scanner, get the Torque Pro App, then use a smartphone or cheap tablet and try it out, see what it supports.
Old November 14th, 2019, 2:25 AM
Super Moderator

"I don’t think the OBDLink doesn’t gets you gmlan stuff."
I'm not sure, but maybe the word "doesn't" doesn't belong there?
That was a typo. I was trying to say OBDLink can't.

From ScanTool (maker of the OBDLink MX scanner):
"The OBDLink app itself does not have access to any OEM live data like transmission temp and outside temp for GM vehicles currently. In order to view the OEM DTCs and PIDs, you would need to use the MX Bluetooth in conjunction with another third party app that does have access to this proprietary information."
True. But it should work with Torque.

Tech Support reps for some of the other scanners specifically state that their scanners are unable to read the GM SW-CAN, which the OBDLink MX can.
But the OBDLink can't see that data (evidently TorquePro can... if you have the right PIDs, etc.).
The low speed SW-CAN (AKA GMLAN) network does not follow any OBD standards. It is 100% proprietary. You can not request any OBD data (by PID or otherwise) on the GMLAN. All OBD services are performed on the high speed CAN bus. All scan tools are able to request all diagnostic data. Legislated and proprietary. But the data is just raw numbers, which are useless unless you know what the number means. You need software to interpret the data for you. The cost of access to GM's codebook has a lot of zeros in it.

But I'm still not clear what (if any) pertinent data is on the GM SW-CAN.
That depends what you consider pertinent. There is a tremendous amount of data on the GMLAN describing just about every aspect of a vehicle's operation.

The post from the ScanTool tech rep suggested to me that live data like trans temp was only on the SW-CAN.
Nope. It's OBD data available on the HS-CAN bus. The PID is proprietary but very widely known. Any tool can request it, provided that your vehicle supports it.

I'm also uncertain why that ELM327 scanner costs twice as much as the ScanTool OBDLink MX, for which there is actual product support.
ELM Electronics do not make scan tools. They just make chips. There are many scan tool products out there that use ELM chips inside. Those product manufacturers can charge whatever they like and have their own support policies. OBD Solutions make scan tools (Such as the OBDLink MX). I'm not 100% sure, but I think they supply their own hardware as well. OBD Solutions make their own software as well (an iPhone app for example). OBDLink products are ELM compatible. They did that so that owners of ELM compatible software (which there is a lot of out there. Torque, for example) could use it with their product.
And by the way, ELM327 chips are very outdated. If you have a modern vehicle, then the ELM329 chip is superior.

I am not hesitant to use a cheap scanner to establish a bseline, but when a product like this sells for under $5, it just about has to be built using the cheapest of everything, and since I plan on leaving it plugged in all the time, QC (and power consumption) matters.
That's a valid point. I don't leave mine plugged in. Not because of power consumption (it does go into standby), but because it's buggy and sub standard OBD tools have been blamed for some vehicle problems. It's still good for troubleshooting though. I only bought it because it was cheap and I was curious, but it turned out to be pretty good. I have a few different scan tools that are much better and I don't like relying on my smartphone for OBD. All that being said, I have no use for OBD tools for daily driving. Tranny temp is only interesting in unusual circumstances. The outside temp sensors are not very accurate, and I can just open my window.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 14th, 2019 at 2:41 AM.
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this reply from the BAFX tech support rep.:
Originally Posted by BAFX tech support rep
"Torque has generic readings for all of the sensor you noted as I mentioned however for GM rather than Ford, it does NOT have extended PIDs for these to try if the generic ones fail for GM. Our records on customer success for GM vehicles using these generic PIDs on GM vehicles is much less than Ford and I cannot say with any sort of certainty the success you may have with them on your truck because of that. That said, the OBD fusion app has generic readings for Intake air Temp & EGT but I am not seeing one for Transmission Temp in there. However OBD Fusion does offer extended PID sets for certain vehicles at $10/vehicle on TOP of the app cost though. However even with the extended PID set these readings still are not guaranteed. We do not have as transparent of access to what sensors these these add-ons for OBD Fusion offer as we do in Torque, so before spending the $10+ on the OBD Fusion app I would reach out to them directly and see if they might have better, more direct, knowledge of purchasing their add-on package will definitely get you the readings you are looking for with their app."
FYI:
OBD adapters that have been tested with Torque/TorquePro
(All the adapters offer the same access to all the available OBD2 sensors in the vehicle)

OBD Fusion & TouchScan Compatible Adapters
(list of adapters that are compatible with OBD Fusion and TouchScan and some guidance on which one to choose)

Last edited by VP2019; November 15th, 2019 at 3:28 PM.
Old November 14th, 2019, 1:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got a couple Veepeak OBDCheck Pro WIFI scan tools ,

will they work with Torque just as well as the Bluetooth scan tool ?

Thanks fpor the info
Old November 14th, 2019, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackvw
I just got a couple Veepeak OBDCheck Pro WIFI scan tools , will they work with Torque just as well as the Bluetooth scan tool ?
Veepeak OBDCheck Pro WIFI

Supported Devices
iOS: iPhone, iPad
Android phone & tablet

Compatible APPs
iOS: OBD Fusion, DashCommand, OBD Auto Doctor, OBD Car Doctor, FourStroke, EOBD Facile, etc
Android: Torque Lite/Pro, OBD Auto Doctor, etc.

Supported OBD II Protocol
SAE J1850 PWM
SAE J1850 VPW
ISO 9141-2
ISO14230-4 KWP2000
ISO15765-4 CAN

Old November 14th, 2019, 9:53 PM
Super Moderator

many other people had to do a lot of futzing... I was hoping to avoid at least some of that

If you don't want any futzing, then you may need to spend a couple hundred on something more serious..

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT), Transmission temp., & Outside air temp. are what I consider pertinent

The outside air temp is useless in my opinion. The reading changes as the engine warms up. It changes depending on if you're moving or not. If you can't be bothered to go outside then you're better off using the weather app on your phone or sticking a thermometer to your side mirror. I don't know anything about exhaust temp.

OBDLink MX, claim to have a unique advantage of being able to read the GM SW-CAN data

Big deal. So they threw in an extra 50 cent chip on their board. Without expensive software licensed by GM, this is useless.

I managed to find a list of several thousand "GM Enhanced Parameters" on palmerperformance.com (maker of the DashCommand

It's marketing intended to sell their product. It's still just OBD data, and you'll have to spend a lot of money on their pro products to get that data. DashCommand won't give that to you, and it's just a smartphone app. You still have to buy a dongle.

I also found a much shorter list for GM in this OBDLink MX+ "
Manufacturer Specific Enhanced Diagnostics Support" PDF (refer to pages 3, 9 & 10),
which states that the supported GM SW-CAN Modules are:

Again, a very impressive list. But they don't go into detail about what "support" means. It's like if I'm selling hammers, and I write that it supports building custom kitchens, luxury yachts, fine furniture. Scan tools are all about the software user interface and access to OEM intellectual property. You're not going to get meaningful GMLAN information from a scan tool that's under $1,000.

If you wouldn't mind, please share the trans temp. PID., or point me to a reference that has it

You don't need to worry about the nitty gritty. In Torque you just select GM enhanced data, and it gives you a gauge for ATF temp, outside air temp etc.
If I posted it, then technically, GM could sue Chevroletforum for violating intellectual property copyright laws under the DMCA. Likely, I would also be breaking the forum terms of service. If you really want it then you can PM me your email address.

I wonder if GM uses the same trans. temp. PID for all 2008+ vehicles that have trans. temp. sensors?

No

I have seen posts elsewhere that mention the GM more closely guards their PIDs than some other makers.

Not really. Ford is a little bit more forthcoming.

seems reasonable to me is that a ~$22 scanner on Amazon (with free returns for any reason... such as, if I can't get it to do what I need) rated 4.4 stars in almost 13,000 reviews sold by a company with support reps who speak/write english to help me make the thing work, is probably a better value than a <$5 scanner from China.

Meh. They don't even provide software. OBDLink is probably better.

I still have no idea what the practical difference is between scanners like this one that sells for $10

Identical to the $2 ebay cheapie.

and the "newer model of this item" that sells for $25.

updated bluetooth. Not really worth the extra $$.

BT that provides a more stable connection?

Nah. Your phone might consume a bit less power, but you can just plug it in.

The BAFX scanner supposedly draws 4mA on standby, while the OBDLink MX+ draws 1.8mA.

Insignificant.
adds up over time if a vehicle kept in storage for extended periods.

Why would you keep it plugged in on a vehicle in storage?
Tranny temp is "interesting" to me when towing heavy in hot weather.

Just get an ATF cooler and forget about it.

I'm already convinced that EGT is readily available because "EGT counts as a standard OBD-II PID as defined by SAE J1979" (per ScanTool rep).

Sounds likely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#Service_01

That's not the case with trans. temp., which is why I wondered if a scanner had to access the GM SW-CAN in order to see that real-time data

Again, not SW-CAN.
SW-CAN / GMLAN is sometimes called the "comfort bus" because it's not for things that keep the vehicle running. The fact that it's low speed already precludes it from being used for anything important.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 14th, 2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old November 14th, 2019, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BAFX tech support rep
"Torque has generic readings for all of the sensor you noted as I mentioned however for GM rather than Ford, it does NOT have extended PIDs..."

if somone wants PIDS for anything other than what is required by law, look for them somewhere else
As you can read in this topic, people (including me) are getting ATF temp (a proprietary PID) from Torque. What more can I say? You might need the $5 'pro' version though. I have no experience with Fusion.
Old November 14th, 2019, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Trackvw
I just got a couple Veepeak OBDCheck Pro WIFI scan tools ,

will they work with Torque just as well as the Bluetooth scan tool ?

Thanks fpor the info
Not a huge difference. You can use it from farther away. But since you are tying up your wifi connection to use the OBD tool, you won't be able to use it to search on the internet for example.

Quick Reply: The ELM/Torque thread