Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The ELM/Torque thread

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2019, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by VP2019
If I wanted something like that, I'd use a Tech 2 clone.
Tech 2 does not work on CAN vehicles. You need a GM MDI box and a software license. No clones because it's all online. If you need to ask what it costs then you can't afford it.

Standalone units like these do not output to a standard display
Some do.

So, TorquePro *DOES* provide GM PIDs for ATF fluid temp.
You can see the temperature right there in the image that you reposted
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...12/#post438072
It was talked about a great deal in this topic you posted in. Again, Torque is able to read it, provided that your vehicle supports it.

Because it would normally stay with the vehicle.
Wouldn't you keep it in the vehicle you are driving? . I guess you could buy a separate device for each vehicle *shrug*

Which brings me back to what I said before, starting with my very first post on here ... I'm still not clear what (if any) pertinent data is on the GM SW-CAN. The post from the ScanTool tech rep suggested to me that live data like trans temp was only on the SW-CAN.
hope it's clear now

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 14th, 2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

That is the RESULT I noted earlier. How it was accomplished isn't stated in that post.... But from what you've told me, it shouldn't be too hard,
My bad. I was probably thinking of this topic:
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...e4/#post365807

and IF you have the right PID for Torque to be able to read it in a given vehicle.
No PID codes required. Just choose the "transmission fluid temp" gauge just like in the screenshot
Old November 15th, 2019, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI: re: Clone adapters - Currently many that dont' work on CANBUS

All three posts by GaryDoug, Electrical test engineer:

"I recently ordered four different clone OBD2/ELM327 bluetooth adapters on Amazon from four different sellers. NONE of them worked on my 98 Firebird. I have an older one that works fine, so I took them all apart and found this: There were a lot of parts missing from the circuit board on each of the four devices. I used the ELM schematic to interpret the circuitry and confirmed that the missing parts are for the J1850 (GM and Ford) and K-line (Chrysler) All four had the CAN parts loaded and all four worked on my 2013 Hyundai. Looks like the Chinese are cutting corners big time and hoping the customer doesn’t try to return it."

"Response rates are almost entirely dependent on the PCM/ECM response rate, and that varies widely according to year and make. Older is generally slower. PC speed makes a significant difference also since there are a lot of math computations happening. The most noticeable difference between the Version 1.0 ELM chip (aka 1.5, 1.5a, most ELM devices manufactured cheaply in China, etc) and the later ones (Version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc) is in the supported baud rate from tool to pc. The Version 1.0 chips have a limit of 38500 baud and most newer ones can do 115200 baud. That rate is the one used when the tool communicates with the pc, not with the vehicle. Since the tool-to-pc time is much less in some years than the slower ECM’s rate, that is a minor factor for those vehicles. I have found that on an early model GM ECM, the rate improves about 10-15% with the newer chip. The difference would be greater with faster ECM’s of later years.
All these devices are real and not exactly knockoffs; they are simply outdated and unauthorized and not manufactured by Elm Electronics. They are made using the Version 1.0 code programmed into the same (or similar and cheaper) 18F2480 PIC processor device available from Microchip at about three dollars each in large quantities, or the 18F25K80 for about two dollars.
The photo below shows the circuit board of the ELMscan 5 Compact from Scantool.net. It has the version 1.4 ELM327 device."

"I just received an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter from BAFX. It is a mature design that has the elevated LED’s instead of the smaller surface-mount ones. This one has ALL the parts installed. The only component position that is vacant is one for the baud rate selection, and that is not used on this type. Evidently, their claim to REALLY support all protocols is valid."

This thread continues to July 2019, but those posts are several years old, so maybe the really cheap clones are better now than they were then.

Here's so more info:
Tips and advice for using ELM327 interfaces
"The interfaces do not always have the same level of quality. As we mentioned above, the software version displayed is not always reliable. Some versions of the circuit are on sale that are not even listed by the manufacturer (reminder: ELM Electronics). User returns have taught us that some versions, that do not officially exist, are in circulation. To clarify the situation:
  • EXIST: versions 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.3a 1.4, 1.4b, 2.0 and 2.1
  • DO NOT EXIST: versions 1.2a 1.4a 1.5 and 1.5a (and in general all those not listed in "EXIST")"
and directly from ELM Electronics:

* Notice that the older versions of the ELM327 don't have a low power (sleep) mode

Last edited by VP2019; November 15th, 2019 at 9:57 PM.
Old November 15th, 2019, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Do you own a '98 firebird? J1850 is obsolete.

If a clone didn't work on CAN, then it wouldn't work on any modern vehicle, and they wouldn't be able to sell any. It doesn't make sense.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced tool recommendation, the OBDLink looks fairly good. It's not just some fly by night operation. I've opened one up myself, and it's built really well. They write their own software, yet is cross-compatible. They don't have the same performance limitations that ELM based units have.
Old November 15th, 2019, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
If you're looking for a reasonably priced tool recommendation, the OBDLink looks fairly good. It's not just some fly by night operation. I've opened one up myself, and it's built really well. They write their own software, yet is cross-compatible. They don't have the same performance limitations that ELM based units have.
Interesting comment, considering what you said in your previous posts.

The OBDLink hardware was one of the choices I had narrowed down to, before I stumbled across this thread where someone (ahem!) seemed to be advocating $3 cut-every-corner clones of unknown quality from China vs. spending $20 for something like the BAFX that "GaryDoug" found to be at least a little higher quality, or three times that for the OBDLink MX.

Considering that I could use a hard-wired USB scanner (because I have a real USB host port available), the <$30 OBDLink SX is a very cost effective alternative to the MX+ that costs twice as much (but supports SW-CAN that I now know I don't need for this application).

In the course of this, I ran across an old post by Len (LCACMan), whose opinion matters a lot (based on my past experience) that mentioned ScanGauge... I have to say, ScanGauge II is also a mighty attractive alternative, especially considering the small size and also that the display has customizable backlighting color, so it could closely match the OEM teal lighting. The X-Gauge feature has a lists all the available gauge functions for each GM engine RPO. The detailed view of each one looks a lot like PID info to me.

Last edited by VP2019; November 15th, 2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old November 16th, 2019, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

someone (ahem!) seemed to be advocating $3 cut-every-corner clones of unknown quality from China vs. spending $20 for something.
If that's the conclusion you drew, then you completely misunderstood me.

My point was that $3 is pocket change. It's a starbucks coffee. At that price you can buy one for each vehicle and throw it in the glove box. It will get your started and more familiar with OBD, especially if you've never owned a scan tool. It will give you an idea of what to look for if you decide to get something more serious. MAYBE it will even be enough for you. If it turns out horrible, then big deal you're out $3. It's a no brainer and a complete waste of time to discuss. I don't regret it at all.

Scangauge II was my first tool. I liked it, but it's obsolete and the interface is dated now. Also kind of expensive. I thought you didn't want a standalone display? Anyway Torque looks way better and is easier to use.

The BAFX is an ELM device isn't it?

each one looks a lot like PID info to me.
All OBD sensor values are requested using PIDs. I'm guessing you mean it shows proprietary stuff? Not out of the box. You have to program them in with cryptic codes and it's really annoying because you have to use two push buttons. The company doesn't provide very much so you have to rely on what you find on the internet. But yes, it will show ATF temp provided your vehicle supports it.
Old November 16th, 2019, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

My point was that $3 is pocket change. It's a starbucks coffee. At that price you can buy one for each vehicle and throw it in the glove box. It will get your started and more familiar with OBD, especially if you've never owned a scan tool. It will give you an idea of what to look for if you decide to get something more serious. MAYBE it will even be enough for you. If it turns out horrible, then big deal you're out $3. It's a no brainer and a complete waste of time to discuss. I don't regret it at all.
Buying one for each vehicle and throwing it in the glove box isn't helpful to *ME* in this application, which, once again, is to fill in a few blanks not currently available in the DIC. I'm not trying to 'get started' & tinker with something to see if I 'decide to get something more serious.' If I wanted to do that, I'd use one of the dedicated tools I already own, like my EFI V2 or my Tech 2 clone (even though you think it doesn't work with 2008+ GM vehicles). neither of those are designed or intended to serve as gauges for functions not present in the DIC.

I would have simply used the Palmer "DashLogic" because having that info in the DIC is preferable, but they've verified that their DashLogic does not work on GM vans, and at $280, it's mighty expensive for what it does (although it does that in one of the most highly integrated ways possible).

Taking into account the experiences of people who have gone with a '$3 OBD scanner from China' and had problems or outright hardware failures a few months later, as discussed extensively here, I can pay just a little more to get one that has not had every corner cut to meet a $3 point, and has better quality control, and a real warranty that's longer than 30 days. If I buy it on Amazon, it arrives quickly and if it doesn't work, I can return it at ZERO cost. IMO, that's a much better value than a $3 part that may or may not work six months from now.

---

Scangauge II was my first tool. I liked it, but it's obsolete and the interface is dated now. Also kind of expensive. I thought you didn't want a standalone display?
If it comes in a form that is designed to be integrated into a cluster and allows display colors to be adjusted to match the OEM scheme (which SGII does), it could work out OK. There are some tradeoffs to using a multifunction display (e.g.: an android tablet or android head unit) vs. a standalone display. At less than $110 on Amazon, Scangauge II is less than the cost of just one dedicated gauge, (like these) that comes close to matching the OEM color scheme.

---

If that's the conclusion you drew, then you completely misunderstood me.
It's not surprising that I misunderstood you because you've contradicted some of your own statements.
And no, I'm not going to expend yet more time pointing those contradictions out to you. They're there.

Some of your statements repeatedly show that you misunderstand my intention in this application, even though I stated it clearly at the outset, and repeatedly after that. That's why you kept questioning *why* I wanted to do something one way or another. Thanks for your help, OK? But I'm sure I don't need your advice about things like (for example) whether or not it's "useful" (to me) to view trans. temp. That may not be "useful" to YOU, but plenty of others who routinely tow heavy corroborate *MY* interest in that.

I came to this *GM-specific* forum because the answers I got from scanner manufacturer support reps weren't specific enough to GM vehicles to be conclusive.
Also, at the time I asked those questions, I didn't realize that it wasn't necessary to read the SW-CAN to view the real-time temp. data I was interested in seeing.
I had interpreted an answer from the ScanTool rep to mean that it was, but he was probably just trying to 'sell' the hypothetical advantages of being able to read SW-CAN data.

What I asked was a simple question, and which could have been answered simply a lot earlier on, with the link that was eventually provided, in this post:
My bad. I was probably thinking of this topic:
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...e4/#post365807
No PID codes required. Just choose the "transmission fluid temp" gauge just like in the screenshot
After what seemed like thousands of words subsequent to my original post, I'd already found THAT GM-specific answer in the Torque forum, without even having to pose the question there. Unfortunately, I came here first, and got sucked into an not entirely relevant interchange that took a not-inconsequential amount of time for me to write. I've now deleted most of that, because all this does (same as it always is) is clutter up threads that might otherwise be helpful to the next person who stumbles on to it. Although, my advice to any newbie looking for a GM-specific answer about using a Torque with a code reader is, search for your answer in the Torque forum first.

In summary, the answer looks like this (although this may not be completely and precisely worded to your satisfaction):

1. On a 2008+ GM vehicle, real-time temp data like trans temp is not on on the SW-CAN that fewer scanners (e.g.: OBDLink MX) support. Real-time temp data like trans temp is on the ISO15765-4 (a.k.a.: 11-bit CAN, or CANSF) that any code scanner that works on US vehicles built in the last decade or so should be able to access.

2. TorquePro does have at least two or three trans temp PIDs for GM vehicles, but different car models don't necessarily use the same PIDs (as you also mentioned), so although I've run across posts from people who were able to see the trans temp. in other 2008+ GM trucks/vans, those weren't the exact same vehicle. So it really does come down to trying it... but the difference is that now I know that some of the pertinent GM PIDs are definitely available in Torque. That probably wasn't the case several years ago, which may explain some older posts about being unable to read trans temp. in Torque (although some of them probably just did not know how to access the pertinent GM PIDs in Torque).

-------

Thanks again for the information you provided that was helpful.
I now know what I need to know for this application, and since I've expended more than another half-hour on this without further benefit to me, this post will have to conclude my involvement here.

Last edited by VP2019; November 16th, 2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old November 16th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

I completely understand your intention. Your application is your business, and it's up to you to find the tool you need. But this topic isn't about you, and I'm trying to provide information that might be useful to anybody wanting to know more about this stuff. I get no satisfaction from correcting you. I just want people to get accurate information. This is an opinion forum so you might hear some differing opinions .

I do everything possible so I can just drive my vehicle and not have to babysit it. But having a tool that can read troubles codes (plus more) ready in the glove box is well worth $3. You can over analyze that until the cows come home. eBay is pretty good for refunding your money if you're at all dissatisfied.

Don't pretend like you had a simple question and I was somehow withholding information. If that were the case, you wouldn't have just gone and quickly deleted your posts to hide it. That's bad forum ju-ju, by the way.

Good luck with your project.
Old November 16th, 2019, 12:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been playing with my Veepeak OBDCheck Pro WIFI scan tool this morning ,

Downloaded Torque lite and it works ,

so I have Revs , coolant temp , vacuum

What does engine load do ?

Can you add the GM PIDs by hand for Trans Temp and oil temp ? its a 2005

and what others are useful since the van has full gauges anyway , I assume there are no other transmission info sensors.

yes I am paranoid about the Trans blowing up since my buddies did !

Thanks for your thoughts
Old November 16th, 2019, 1:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Trackvw
What does engine load do ?

Basically it tells you how hard the engine is working.
It's not something that is measured directly, but rather it's calculated using various sensor readings.

Can you add the GM PIDs by hand for Trans Temp and oil temp ? its a 2005

If the Torque GM specific ATF temp gauge doesn't work, then your vehicle doesn't support that. You can add whatever custom PIDs you want. (maybe only pro version?). Engine oil temp is a standard OBD parameter. If the gauge doesn't work then your vehicle probably doesn't support it.

and what others are useful since the van has full gauges anyway , I assume there are no other transmission info sensors.
For day to day, nothing terribly interesting. The data becomes REALLY useful when troubleshooting problems. Other transmission data I see is input/output shaft speed, and slip.

Quick Reply: The ELM/Torque thread