Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The ELM/Torque thread

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2017, 8:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That article basically says that all you need is an app, and you don't need an internet connection at all. Which, in my mind, begs the question; how would you use GPS without an app in the first place? For our purposes, Torque is the app.

In the past, I have been on a quest to get navigation freeware for a laptop for both the road and marine use. I found a relatively cheap GPS unit($28.00), that is about the size of a thumb drive, and plugs in to a standard USB slot. I'd love to have a tablet that has a USB, but all I can find is the Surface Pro, approaching $1000.00. I've given up as far as road use since I found an app for a smartphone called Waze. It tells me where cops and other hazards are, as well as traffic issues. It also knows the speed limit, and shows both that, and my speed(using GPS). I found great marine software, but I need a bigger boat. Using a laptop in a row boat looks goofy.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 8:35 AM
CF Veteran

Here's an informative article;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
Old December 22nd, 2017, 9:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
That article basically says that all you need is an app, and you don't need an internet connection at all. Which, in my mind, begs the question; how would you use GPS without an app in the first place? For our purposes, Torque is the app.

In the past, I have been on a quest to get navigation freeware for a laptop for both the road and marine use. I found a relatively cheap GPS unit($28.00), that is about the size of a thumb drive, and plugs in to a standard USB slot. I'd love to have a tablet that has a USB, but all I can find is the Surface Pro, approaching $1000.00. I've given up as far as road use since I found an app for a smartphone called Waze. It tells me where cops and other hazards are, as well as traffic issues. It also knows the speed limit, and shows both that, and my speed(using GPS). I found great marine software, but I need a bigger boat. Using a laptop in a row boat looks goofy.
Would this work for your thumb drive?
Attached Thumbnails The ELM/Torque thread-screen-shot-2017-12-22-10.10.58-am.png  
Old December 22nd, 2017, 2:29 PM
CF Veteran

At $8.00, it's worth a shot. The big question is will Torque(or the tablet itself) recognize it? I will look for this at my local Micro Center.

This is my GPS thingy;
Attached Images  
Old December 22nd, 2017, 5:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Waze its been around for awhile. I mainly use it to travel to florida to see my boy and his family... not only does it tell about cops but traffic issues that ( people ) using the app inform others by using the app...
I like it alot...
Old December 23rd, 2017, 1:08 PM
CF Veteran

Question; Could the lack of available gauges be because of my adapter being v1.5, vs the v2.2?
Old December 23rd, 2017, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, OK.... Sorry I dropped a big bombshell.... SORRY!
1.) Ron, That article assumes your tablet has a GPS chip. Mine does not, and I didn't think yours did either, Some tablets do have GPS, and some do not. My iPad Mini does have, but Sandy's bigger Samsung does not. But... Your tablet may have because you got GPS data from somewhere that day we tried it. Most navi apps and devices require a map base to show the location. I'm guessing you have not downloaded any maps into your tablet or it's sd card, right?

2.) Most tablets do not have an HDMI port like the one shown above in the dark cable, and most don't have a standard USB port either.
Therefore neither of the cables or adapters shown above will be usable, sorry...

3.) It may be possible my OBD module may be too cheap to supply me with either the trannie temps or other PID's. And the software I'm using (DASH COMMAND) is not easily customized to allow it either. So, I may have to upgrade both to see trannie temps...

That's my thoughts...
Old December 23rd, 2017, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did some research...
My Nexus Ares 8 tablet does not have a GPS chip. (No joy)
Sandy's Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 does have... (Yay for us!)

I found an app called "MapFactor" in the play store that comes highly recommended for navi use, with maps, and does not need WIFI.
It is a free download and the maps are free also. They claim to update the maps monthly...
Here is the link...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...avigator&hl=en
Old December 23rd, 2017, 6:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by galladanb
2.) Most tablets do not have an HDMI port like the one shown above in the dark cable, and most don't have a standard USB port either.
Therefore neither of the cables or adapters shown above will be usable, sorry...
Hi, the black cable above is not an HDMI cable, it's a Micro USB B male connector / USB A female connector port.
Attached Thumbnails The ELM/Torque thread-screen-shot-2017-12-23-6.49.33-pm.png  
Old December 23rd, 2017, 8:11 PM
CF Veteran

Carpy(for lack of your first name) you have to know that when you Google :Startech.com", and click on adapters, the page shows an HDMI adapter that looks a lot like the adapter you posted. You have to dig deep to find the right one. That's why Dan mentioned the HDMI thingy.

Dan, that adapter is micro USB to standard USB female, and is correct for connecting my GPS dongle. The big question is whether the tablet accepts it for what it is and is supposed to do. And you are also correct that some tablets that have GPS, and some that don't. My Fire does not. But it does have, of all things, an accelerometer. Why would a glorified Kindle reader have this?

Quick Reply: The ELM/Torque thread