Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The ELM/Torque thread

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2017, 9:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
Carpy(for lack of your first name) you have to know that when you Google :Startech.com", and click on adapters, the page shows an HDMI adapter that looks a lot like the adapter you posted. You have to dig deep to find the right one. That's why Dan mentioned the HDMI thingy.
StanVan, $1.56 and free shipping, Newegg.
Attached Thumbnails The ELM/Torque thread-screen-shot-2017-12-23-10.04.08-pm.png   The ELM/Torque thread-screen-shot-2017-12-23-10.09.11-pm.png   The ELM/Torque thread-screen-shot-2017-12-23-10.07.25-pm.png  
Old December 29th, 2017, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!

So, I took Sandy's tablet out on a test drive.

Here's what I learned... The GPS works fine tracking along the map set I downloaded. There are even POI or Points of Interest that come up like fire stations, some gas stations but not all, and even a few food points. But I feel they are old and incomplete...

You can not ask it to navigate to for instance, "Lowes" because it requires a wifi connection to locate that...

SO, I'm guessing as long as you want to see where your at, it works great.
If you want it to find someplace else, it really cant...
Old December 29th, 2017, 2:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if that app could navigate to the address of Lowes?
Old December 30th, 2017, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stan, I'm thinking it will not without a wifi connection...
We will be making a short run tomorrow, so I'll check and see for sure!

Such Fun!
Old December 30th, 2017, 8:13 PM
CF Veteran

I hope you didn't pay for that app. I can understand it not knowing where the Lowes is, but what good is a map app that doesn't know where 123 Main St is. Hope you're wrong.

And I hope that sounded right. I'm not in the habit of hoping someone is wrong.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 9:56 PM
CF Veteran

And I hope I'm not wrong. Just ordered a new ELM device that claims to be 2.1 for $12.99.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 9:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Just ordered a new ELM device that claims to be 2.1 for $12.99.
Hey StanVan, apparently you don't believe all the posts that we have had discussing the legitimacy of these ELM scanners? The Chinese clones and the TotalDiagnostics (Australian) device claiming v2.1 have tested out to v1.4–v1.5. I believe unless the device states that it has a genuine ELM chip (not software or firmware) it's going to be v1.4–v1.5, regardless of the price. Didn't Teammuir1 order the TotalDiagnostics scanner that claimed v2.1, for $37, but tested out as the v1.5? I purchased the elm–327.eu, from Romania for $65 that virtually guaranteed a genuine Elm v2.2 chip, and it tests out as a genuine v2.2 chip. I am not saying that it is any better than a Chinese clone, just stating the facts of the version number. I remember reading on ELM Canada’s website, that their recent version chips sell for $10-$20 a piece in quantity. So it's hard for me to believe that you can obtain a fully operational complete scanner device that claims v2.1, for $12.99. Let us know how it tests out, I can always be wrong.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Just spitballin' here, but with the current version being 2.2, who's to say the 2.1s aren't discounted? Or that they haven't cloned a 2.1 chip? And while there's no guarantee I won't get a clone, it isn't one that is taking 3 to 4 weeks to get here from China. And BTW, the one Ron got claims a 2.1 version, but they are clear to point out that they don't use a licensed ELM chip.

Here's the thing, my 1.5 was failing. I've had it for maybe 8 or 10 years. So, even if it's a 1.5, $12.99 (free Prime shipping) isn't a bad price. If it turns out to be a 1.5, I'll be happy(as long as it works), and if it's a 2.1, I'll be ecstatic. It was ordered Monday night. It's supposed to be here tomorrow by 8 PM.

Last edited by StanVan; January 3rd, 2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Just spitballin' here, but with the current version being 2.2, who's to say the 2.1s aren't discounted? Or that they haven't cloned a 2.1 chip? And while there's no guarantee I won't get a clone, it isn't one that is taking 3 to 4 weeks to get here from China. And BTW, the one Ron got claims a 2.1 version, but they are clear to point out that they don't use a licensed ELM chip.

Here's the thing, my 1.5 was failing. I've had it for maybe 8 or 10 years. So, even if it's a 1.5, $12.99 (free Prime shipping) isn't a bad price. If it turns out to be a 1.5, I'll be happy(as long as it works), and if it's a 2.1, I'll be ecstatic. It was ordered Monday night. It's supposed to be here tomorrow by 8 PM.
Like I said in my post, ELM Canada has older and recent genuine chips, for a reduced price, $10-$20 a piece in quantity. In 2005 ELM Canada introduced the 327 chip, but failed to protect it copyright wise or some such thing, which allowed unscrupulous Chinese manufacturers to steal the electronic code, and manufacture that chip without penalty, but apparently, the door was shut with the v1.4. I would think it would be pretty irresponsible of ELM to open the door again to allow people to steal their intellectual property, don't you? So I don't believe there's been any more stealing of ELM property beyond the v1.4. I got my ELM 327 from Romania in about 10 days. Is Amazon Prime shipping free, I thought it was about $100 a year? Yes, Teammuir1's scanner claims v2.1 and of course says it is not a licensed ELM chip, because to be a legitimate v2.1 it would have to be a genuine ELM chip, which it is not because it tests out to v1.5, it's basically all a bunch of BS. I know you hope to get a v2.1, and I hope you get one too, but I don't see any way in the world that is going to happen, from everything I have seen your new scanner will be a several-year-old Chinese clone, v1.5. Chances are good that it will work, you just don't know what you're missing with the latest version, that's all. I hope you share the Identifier app results when you get the device.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 5:47 PM
CF Veteran

As soon as I hit the lottery, I'll get the genuine device. Until then, the cheapo will have to suffice.

Quick Reply: The ELM/Torque thread