Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express - Intermittent Wiper Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2020, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Express - Intermittent Wiper Malfunction

My intermittent wiper settings no longer work reliably in my 2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD.

I replaced the wiper motor (which includes the wiper control board) in the van and the intermittent function worked great for a few days. I am now back to it sometimes working. The van also seems to send power to the wiper motor every time I turn the key past "on". It sends a quick pulse of power that just barely move the wipers and is noticeable. The slow and high speed settings work fine. Any idea what is going on here? Could there be something in the fuse box I need to replace?
Old January 2nd, 2020, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Would replacing the turn signal stick with the ACDelco part found here solve anything?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DX9YGY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DX9YGY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Old January 2nd, 2020, 1:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

maybe. maybe not.

The pulse on start is normal.

Fuse 39 and Relay 71 are for wipers.

The stick tells the BCM which speed you selected with a variable voltage on the the light blue wire.

The BCM controls the wiper motor and intervals.

You could just have a loose/corroded/broken wire or connection somewhere along the way.

Unless you want to fire the parts cannon at it, somebody will have to grab meter and start working through the wiring diagram:
BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products and Turbochargers | TSB and Wiring Diagrams Database
(choose 2009)
Old January 2nd, 2020, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info there Joe. I am a rookie mechanic and can plug and play different parts until I give up and take it into a shop or a dealer. Another van owner mentioned that "the contact pads in the wiper stalk (rotary switch) either have ware or corrosion causing false signaling. Get a new stalk switch." So I just ordered a new one for 25 bucks.

The 71 relay is under the hood correct? What new part would I need to replace the relay? Would it make sense to replace that relay at this point? The fact that it sometimes works flawlessly and other times on barely moves the windshield wiper indicates in my mind (just guessing) that the relay might be functioning properly and the problem lies elsewhere?
Old January 2nd, 2020, 3:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

the lid of the fuse box or your owners manual should list all the relays. You can easily test it with just a 12V bulb. Relays are available at your local parts store.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am just going off memory here so forgive me if I am incorrect on something....but to hopefully answer your question you are looking for a Relay PN: 19264 (Duralast relay) this is an autozone part number, and since I worked there for quite a long time and that is mainly all I dealt with were Chevy vehicles I memorized quite a few part numbers.....oddly this happened to be one of them.....again I am just pulling from memory so I could be wrong here but I hope this might help, you will want to pull your relay and check to be sure the pins (number of and shape) match also....but for what it is worth a relay is a relay just make sure you get the one rated for the circuit your installing it in.....
Old March 9th, 2020, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default Issue Resolved?

Hi CurlyFry, I'm having the same issue with my 2010 Yukon - Did you resolve your problem...and how did you fix it?