Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Front wheels don't track when reversing

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2022, 9:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front wheels don't track when reversing

When did you replace your ball joints?
My 2008 work van has ~ 150,000 miles on it. Tire wear seems fine. If conditions seem right, when I reverse, front tire tracking seems a bit weird.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; December 1st, 2022 at 9:46 PM.
Old December 1st, 2022, 11:06 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Whether it is good or not ,time for a thorough check of the front suspension and steering.. Hopefully ,only an illusion.
Old December 1st, 2022, 9:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by tsoleno
front tire tracking seems a bit weird.
Can you be more specific? What exactly are you seeing?
Old December 1st, 2022, 11:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Put a floor jack under the lower control, jack up the tire, and give it a wiggle.

Also, the steering geometry isn't really designed for reverse. It's designed for going forward and turning.
Old December 2nd, 2022, 9:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Driving there isn't any problem really. If say I'm backing on wet parking lot / drive that is a bit on the slick side, I'll get some squeal and the front tires seem to be trying to find their place. Last time that I had it in the air, I didn't get movement by gripping the wheel. The only work that I did was Idler and pitman arms and that was at 82,000 miles. It's been a while since an alignment though. This van is a 3/4 ton and loaded as well.
Old December 2nd, 2022, 9:55 AM
CF Senior Member

Just having it in the air isn't enough. You need to get the load off of the ball joints. It must be jacked up by the lower control arm not the frame.
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (December 2nd, 2022)
Old December 12th, 2022, 5:39 PM
CF Junior Member

So up in the air it went - lifting it from the lower control arms. I don't get any play up /down nor side to side when I grab the wheel. Should I be using a bar at the joint? Maybe I have a ball joint fear because of all the CK pickups that had issues in my past. But then again, that was 30 years ago...
No one chimed in about actually replacing their ball joints, so I'm guessing they run a good long time now.
Old December 12th, 2022, 6:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Ball joints on a conventional suspension like a Chevy Express often don't show poor handling until they are very worn and quite wobbly when jacked up by the lower control arm. The lower one has all the weight of the vehicle on it that will take up any play. No side to side movement means your tie rod ends, drag link and pitman arm are likely all in good shape too. Sometimes it pays to have somebody else wiggle the tire while you go under and look for movement but that is normally after you feel movement at the wheel and are trying to narrow down the location that it is coming from.

Edit: the wheel tire and brakes are quite heavy so keeping the tire low to the ground and using a pry bar underneath it might be required.