Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

help me choose my new express

Search this Thread

Old February 29th, 2020, 1:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Triaged
G80 is not a LSD. It has no preload and wheels will spin opposite directions like an open diff.
According to GM documentation, in addition to the locking function, the G80 does have a limited slip function.

"Under normal conditions, when the differential is not locked, a small amount of limited-slip action occurs. The gear separating force developed in the right-hand clutch pack is primarily responsible for this."

and ...

"Although the side gear spreading force produced by the pinion gears compresses the clutch packs, primarily the right side, the friction between the tires and the road surface is sufficient to overcome the friction of the clutch packs."

so to me it sounds like there is some preload, and the wheels should turn together up to some small torque.
Old February 29th, 2020, 2:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
...so to me it sounds like there is some preload, and the wheels should turn together up to some small torque.
It might have some LSD function when not locked but it has no preload that a normal clutch type LSD has. You spin one wheel forward and the other goes backwards. I have been able to lock one up by hand before but YMMV.
Old February 29th, 2020, 3:52 PM
Super Moderator

no, not like a normal LSD, but ...

"gear separating force developed in the right-hand clutch pack"

... does sounds like a small amount preload to me. Enough that, if spinning in free air, they should spin together. "a small amount of limited-slip action occurs"

If they say that wheel on pavement is required to overcome clutch friction, then that would indicate preload to me.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; February 29th, 2020 at 4:04 PM.
Old February 29th, 2020, 7:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
"gear separating force developed in the right-hand clutch pack"
Gear separating forces require torque from both tires having traction. Because of the 45° bevel gears in the differential when torque is applied some of that torque goes into spreading the diff case apart. That is what they are talking about. There is no preload in a G80 gov-lock. Wheels will spin opposite directions. I have done it.
Old March 1st, 2020, 1:09 AM
Super Moderator

That does make sense. Thank you.
Old March 1st, 2020, 7:24 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

apparently the door label is only for manufactured date of and tire infor.

edit: anyone know the differences i the 1500 compared to the 2500? I'd really like the 6.0 w/ a 4L80 I don't think any 1500 came w/ 4L80s could the trans be the only difference?
Thanks
Old March 1st, 2020, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

that's probably the driver door. Did you check the passenger?

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but just google "Chevrolet Express brochure", or "GM commercial brochure". All your configurations will be listed, year by year.
Old March 1st, 2020, 12:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're right it must be the door frame of driver side. (my car has it on the driver door) this van is 5 hours from me so I'm attempting to get infor on it.

dealing w/ people that basicelly know nothing about there van is kindof irritating.this guy sends a couple images in jeg them a bunch of unviewable images as text doc.s .

I'll probably not even look at this van due to high price no door storage hump in middle of sofa plus no hitch not even a 7 pin trailer plug (which confuses me because it has the tow button on dash. The guy could have removed the hitch to give the illusion of never towed anything w/ van.

this is the first you advice Chevrolet Express brochure I'll check that, been checking specs.

edit just checked google 03 Chevrolet Express brochure
https://www.chevrolet.com/download-catalog remember I'm not buying a brand new van. which brochure are looking at for older vehicles?

additionaly conversion vans specs aren't included been getting ballpark #s from cargo vans

edit2 OK I see a little info on what color the vans came in and the deimensions here
http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...press_2003.pdf
and some important stuff like capacitys ect.thanks TB

Last edited by the Brain; March 1st, 2020 at 12:57 PM.