Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

How to Fix Bad Fuel Line Leak 2002 1500 5.7

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2022, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Fix Bad Fuel Line Leak 2002 1500 5.7

This 2002 Express conversion van (Explorer Van Co.) with a 5.7 has sprung a leak.

I searched around and couldn't find a diagram of the parts involved. What needs to be replaced if you can tell from the video.

It's only a small leak, but noticeable.

2002 Chevy Van spraying gas.

Old January 29th, 2022, 5:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

I would think you could cut out the damaged section, go to the parts store and get a new piece plus needed splicing stuff. BTW that's the biggest "small leak" I have ever seen! Please don't run it again until repaired!!
Old January 29th, 2022, 6:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

well whats spraying out? oil? coolant? fuel? I can't tell what part of the van I'm looking at.

smear some on a sheet of white paper. rub it between your fingers. Smell it. lick it mmmmm

Do you have a rear heater?
Old January 29th, 2022, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
well whats spraying out? oil? coolant? fuel? I can't tell what part of the van I'm looking at.
it's definitely gasoline. The view is looking up from underneath the drivers side rocker panel.

I can't tell if it's squirting from a crack in a fuel line or a connector of some kind.
Old January 31st, 2022, 10:59 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like you need a new filter too. Get some stainless tube and a couple clamps to hold the pressure and just splice where leak is. Looks like your lines are rotten
Old January 31st, 2022, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ray caldwell
Looks like you need a new filter too. Get some stainless tube and a couple clamps to hold the pressure and just splice where leak is. Looks like your lines are rotten
I was planning to replace the filter while I was under there, but makes you say it looks like it needs to be replaced?

I went to a parts store to get stuff to splice the line but what they offered didn't make sense .

The pair of lines/hoses that are clipped to the side of the tank seem to snake up into the engine. I'd replace the whole thing if I can get to the ends. They seem like Nylon fuel hoses, probably 3/8 inch, is that right? Anyone have a part number?

Haven't been able to find a fuel line diagram online and don't want to spend $300 for the van service manuals.
Old January 31st, 2022, 1:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't need a diagram if you replace one hose at a time. I try to use 3/8 hydraulic hose where I can,but that's just my thing. Even use to replace large vacuum hose. Lifetime fix.
. I'm on my 3rd gm van and I've learned that most owners don't replace the fuel filter on the frame.
They also never flush transmission or change it's filter either. These are always the 1st things I have to do when I get one. And I always put a drain plug in transmission pan. $5 makes life much better

Old January 31st, 2022, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

make sure you use rubber hose meant for fuel. the wrong hose will swell and breakdown. vacuum hose, hydraulic hose, trans fluid hose etc should not be used for fuel.
you could slice in a metal line also.
Old February 1st, 2022, 3:03 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Fuel lines are nylon under there and use push clips to attach. You have a PITA of a job ahead. If the leak is on the supply side of the filter, you will need to drop the tank to access the line on the tank itself. If the leak is past the filter, the doghouse has to come off to access where they connect to the metal upper lines at the left (driver's) rear of the engine.

There are three lines down there. A supply line, a return line, and an evap line to the charcoal canister. It's not too complicated. There's two vents on top of the tank that also have lines running to the canister.

The filter is a maintenance item and should be changed regularly. Plus it's cheap. $10-$20. Expect the ends to be rusted, stuck, and you will have to mess around twisting it at the connector to work it off there.

Old February 4th, 2022, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
There are three lines down there. A supply line, a return line, and an evap line to the charcoal canister. It's not too complicated. There's two vents on top of the tank that also have lines running to the canister.
@William Kisselstein Thanks. In my picture and video the one that is leaking is the lowest fuel line, clipped to the side of the tank.

Is that line nylon tubing with a 3/8 inch inside diameter? If so, I'm thinking cut out the bad part and either use a 3/8 double barb with clamps, or if more length needed I could put a flare on the ends of a piece of steel fuel line and clamp to the good part of the nylon tubing.

That sound OK?

Quick Reply: How to Fix Bad Fuel Line Leak 2002 1500 5.7