Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

"I need one more inch"

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2019, 12:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "I need one more inch"

And it ain't no "that's what she said" joke.

My 2019 extended length passenger van is sitting about 1 inch higher than my garage door header. I originally wanted to park it in the garage during winter. Thinking about it over the last week, I thought there could be something done to the rear leaf springs to help lower it that inch. Stopped by a spring shop near me yesterday and the tech said he could "de-arch both rear springs" with option of adding in 1 additional leaf in order to prevent a "sag" when towing. He said de-arching won't reduce the spring capacity, it will just flatten out the arch, so a loss of 1 inch of suspension travel. Adding in another leaf will strengthen the spring pack in order for the van to be level while towing. The shop has done it many times as many owners request it for the same reason: garage clearance.

Anyone have thoughts or done this? Would loose about 1" of the rake while empty.
Old October 5th, 2019, 4:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by cjm1973
And it ain't no "that's what she said" joke.

My 2019 extended length passenger van is sitting about 1 inch higher than my garage door header. I originally wanted to park it in the garage during winter. Thinking about it over the last week, I thought there could be something done to the rear leaf springs to help lower it that inch. Stopped by a spring shop near me yesterday and the tech said he could "de-arch both rear springs" with option of adding in 1 additional leaf in order to prevent a "sag" when towing. He said de-arching won't reduce the spring capacity, it will just flatten out the arch, so a loss of 1 inch of suspension travel. Adding in another leaf will strengthen the spring pack in order for the van to be level while towing. The shop has done it many times as many owners request it for the same reason: garage clearance.

Anyone have thoughts or done this? Would loose about 1" of the rake while empty.
Smaller tires? Other then raising your garage roof or course. That would not be cheap unless you are good at carpentry.
Old October 5th, 2019, 7:50 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

put hydraulics on the van???
Old October 5th, 2019, 9:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let a bit of air out the tires, reinflate when ready to drive again.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (October 18th, 2019)
Old October 6th, 2019, 8:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what did the shop quote to bend the springs and install a leaf?
Old October 13th, 2019, 8:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
what did the shop quote to bend the springs and install a leaf?

$249. About 3 hours of work he said. Still undecided. I really want to keep the van in the garage but I don't want be in a negative rake situation when loaded up.
Old October 13th, 2019, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beau Oszman
Let a bit of air out the tires, reinflate when ready to drive again.
id say problem solved with this one lol. Won’t cost you anything but an air compressor or tire inflator if you don’t have one already.
Old October 15th, 2019, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an added bonus it will force you to make sure you have the right amount of air in the tires before you drive it.
Old October 18th, 2019, 9:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by joelsplace
As an added bonus it will force you to make sure you have the right amount of air in the tires before you drive it.
LOL! It's funny as I once said I thought tire pressure monitors were as waste of time. I'd still use the feature. Then a few weeks back I used it, and had a small leak going
on in my left rear tire. It was 26 PSI and I always run 35-36 PSI. Sure enough I had a small nail in the tire. Needless to say I will keep the TPS system going in my 2015
Malibu..
Old March 2nd, 2020, 11:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's only your rear that's too high? Yall are only talking about leaf springs. If everything else is good drill another hole in your shackles or have machine shop make you shorter ones