Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Jacks

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2019, 6:33 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trackvw
one of the things I hate is putting lug nuts on with a air gun and not go back on torque them correctly....
this seems to be the Wal mart way !

you have no idea if they are at 50 lbs or 125 lbs

here is the proper way , loosen up a lug nut with a breaker bar , and then tighten with a torque wrench ,
if its a clicker torque wrench , stop when it clicks.
I do not like loosing up unknown lug nuts with the torque wrench as you have no idea how overtight they are ,
and its not good for the torque wrench ,

Yes this takes some time , but now you can be pretty sure that your lug wrench will get them off .......

ohhh why not take a breaker bar / proper socket and a piece of pipe with you anyway......

Truth. Which one do you have?
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I carry a small Horror Fright floor jack. The factory jack was missing 2 of the 4 handle pieces, and they wanted almost $100 for $5 worth of metal. And none of the junk yards had them.

I've always plugged my own tires, from the outside, and have never had one fail. Been doing it forever, and been responsible for 3 and 4 cars since my kids started to drive. My last flat was only the second I couldn't plug. It was a tear, as opposed to a puncture. The other was a sidewall pinch.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 1:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
I carry a small Horror Fright floor jack. The factory jack was missing 2 of the 4 handle pieces, and they wanted almost $100 for $5 worth of metal. And none of the junk yards had them.

I've always plugged my own tires, from the outside, and have never had one fail. Been doing it forever, and been responsible for 3 and 4 cars since my kids started to drive. My last flat was only the second I couldn't plug. It was a tear, as opposed to a puncture. The other was a sidewall pinch.
$25 it's patched from the inside and I give a friend some work. I didn't have a five so I gave him a ten and told him to keep it. He said my Bridgestones are good tires by the way. I am not sure why, but he says the price goes up and down. I know the last time he got me one it was hard for him to find. I suppose it is availability. I was asking general questions about replacing these and he said I could expect $250 (Canadian) per tire. He listed off some names, including these. He recommended against Michellin which surprised me. He said they were too expensive. He also said I should 80K (Km) on these, but I might get a little less seeing the center of my tread was wearing down faster. The particular tire we were looking at was on the rear, 80psi, running with an empty truck most of the time. I guess I should drop the pressure a little.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 4:35 PM
CF Veteran

Probably wouldn't hurt if you're running empty. I wouldn't go below the front PSI.

I never said Bridgestones were bad. I was just surprised that the stock tire on a '16 is only a 40k (65k km) tire. I just found a Firestone for less. Plus, it was advertised as "quieter" and indeed is. The Firestone doesn't have a mileage based warranty, but reviews indicate a 60k (96k km) life.

More miles, less money, less noise. I win!
The following users liked this post:
GeneveConversionVan (July 3rd, 2019)
Old July 3rd, 2019, 6:01 PM
CF Active Member

For those of you using bottle jacks, what lifting points are you using?
Old July 3rd, 2019, 7:50 PM
CF Veteran

I've used the shock mount on the rear, and something similar up front. I was carrying a bottle jack, which was fine as long as the tire wasn't flat. But it didn't have enough travel for a flat tire. Was really pissed at my self for not thinking that one out.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 8:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneveConversionVan
For those of you using bottle jacks, what lifting points are you using?
It should be in your manual, but here is for a 2005.

(1)Lower Control Arm; Inboard of the Lower Ball Joint
(2)Frame; at Second Crossmember
(3)Rear Spring; at Forward Spring Hanger
(4)Axle; Inboard of Shock Absorber Hanger
(5)Differential; at Center
(6)Front Suspension Crossmember; Center

Old July 3rd, 2019, 8:38 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
I've used the shock mount on the rear, and something similar up front. I was carrying a bottle jack, which was fine as long as the tire wasn't flat. But it didn't have enough travel for a flat tire. Was really pissed at my self for not thinking that one out.
Right! I have to measure travel if a tire is flat
Old July 3rd, 2019, 8:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneveConversionVan
most forums I participate people complain ... in this Forum people is OK ...
I don't invest too much into other people's opinions. What matters most is how something suits ME.
A jack serves a fairly simple function so evaluating it is trivial.
But since you'll be squirting foam into your tire then you don't need one.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 10:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Horror freight" LOL. I like it. Seriously though, over the last year the quality has really improved. You can tell they've been flushing the junk product during weekend sales.