Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Pull out Tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2021, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pull out Tow mirrors

Hello!!!! I am currently prototyping a set of pull out tow mirrors for the Chevrolet Express/ GMC Savana. It seems like they don't make them for this platform except for dedicated tow mirrors (that are way too wide for everyday use) Anyway, I may begin producing them but I wanted to gauge interest in the community first. Pics coming soon. I am also developing some custom Headlights. Let me know your opinion!!!
The following users liked this post:
terryshaner01 (March 14th, 2022)
Old February 3rd, 2021, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 620 Likes on 561 Posts

I would try the mirrors. What kind of headlights?
Old February 3rd, 2021, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I would try the mirrors. What kind of headlights?
They would be an Led projector style headlight, for the 2003+ vans with composite headlights (not the single sealed beam) and they would have an led drl ribbon
Old February 3rd, 2021, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

darn . I have sealed beam.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
darn . I have sealed beam.
there are several existing aftermarket options for sealed beams since they are a standard size (5x7 I believe) and swapping the facia on these vans van be done in 10 minutes and is really cheap if you source parts from a yard.
Old February 4th, 2021, 1:05 AM
Super Moderator

In that case I am curious. Mainly because the halogens they sell now are junk and they don't last. So if there were LEDs that last a long time, I would be interested. But they would need to have a good broad color spectrum.
Old February 4th, 2021, 12:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am very interested in an extendable mirror for the Express/Savana vans! Please share when you have a functional prototype.

The challenge will likely be cost. There are so many options for the trucks that costs are relatively low for a set of extendable towing mirrors, but there are so few options for the full sized vans, that they are absurdly expensive (over $500 set for ones with heated glass and integrated signal, and they still don't retract for use when not towing). I've been debating some, but even when I find some on sale for less than $380 for the pair, I'm reluctant because I don't want to spend that much money on mirrors.
Old February 8th, 2021, 3:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I am interested. Of course cost is a concern for me also I would not mind springing for the towing mirrors I see on the box Express vans except for the fact they dont retract. The factory mirrors are useable but I would pay for better ones especially if I didnt have to look like those guys in the Dodge trucks always driving around with their mirrors flipped out even when not towing, heck some dont even have a trailer hitch and leave the mirrors out looking like dumbo the elephant
Old February 8th, 2021, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Im currently building a mid range prototype, however a basic set (manual mirrors, no heat, no turn signals) it will run around $200. I should have a structural prototype ready by the weekend and will post photos.
Larry Lewinski (January 11th, 2022)
Old February 13th, 2021, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Here are the mock ups, they are currently just for design testing and do not have any fairings. They are however mounted. I apologize for the lightning, I had to take them at night because it was the only time I could do it lol. Let me know your thoughts!!!

Larry Lewinski (January 11th, 2022)

Quick Reply: Pull out Tow mirrors