Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Recommendation for a swivel base for seat?

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2020, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious,, you stated "The offset was too much for my particular setup, so I drilled new holes for my seat that were no offset as much." Where did you drill the holes? I'm hoping to use the same mount you did for my 2015 Express 3500 pass seat, and wanting to gain as much info as possible. It sounds like you are fairly pleased with this set up, and I thank you for commenting on here. Thank you in advance for your response.
Old November 30th, 2020, 10:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TRQ427
Just curious,, you stated "The offset was too much for my particular setup, so I drilled new holes for my seat that were no offset as much." Where did you drill the holes? I'm hoping to use the same mount you did for my 2015 Express 3500 pass seat, and wanting to gain as much info as possible. It sounds like you are fairly pleased with this set up, and I thank you for commenting on here. Thank you in advance for your response.
What I call the front of the swivel is the side with the latch lever sticking out. I am not sure if the above picture is right-side up or upside down from my mounting. I mounted it so the lock lever pulls up to unlatch so make sure yours is oriented this way for all of my directions to be correct. I drilled all new holes on the top plate of the swivel because the factory offset did not work for my 2018 Chevrolet Express 2500. My new holes were marked with a center punch and drilled 1 inch to the right (looking from the back) of each original hole. That put the new holes so they alligned up with the holes in the bottom plate of the swivel.

This makes the bolts and nuts hard to get in, but I kept all the top bolts loose so I could lift the seat and bolts up enough to get the nuts started, then tightened them. I was lucky that the bolts were short enough so that when they were tight there was still about 1/8 inch clearance between the top plate bolts and the bottom plate bolts. If they were too long I was prepared to cut or grind them shorter. But as you can see from the picture below, I did not have to. This movement of the top plate bolt holes to the right (from the back or left from the front) gave me the clearance I needed so that when I swiveled the seat I could still get the passenger door closed. I have to swivel the seat clockwise to reverse it and counter-clockwise to put it back to the driving position. It works great for me and really gives us a lot more room for the camper portion of our van.

I hope this information helps you.

Last edited by Black'95; November 30th, 2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old November 30th, 2020, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default Perfect !!!

Thank you for the pictures and the in depth explanation of the alterations you made to accommodate the swivel bracket on you van. Mine is a stock 2015 3500 Express, only thing the seats have is the inboard arm rests, so I may get lucky,,or not,,LOL. Thank you for taking the time to show your handy work,, it really is a big help for sure.
Old October 15th, 2021, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tskier
Hello....trying to get a recommendation on a good swivel mount for the passenger seat. I've seen a few for $199 but was curious if anyone has found any for less? Thanks
can you tell me where you found the ones for $199 ? I’ve been looking as well and would like to see the one for $199 , thanks .
Old October 15th, 2021, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tskier
Hello....trying to get a recommendation on a good swivel mount for the passenger seat. I've seen a few for $199 but was curious if anyone has found any for less? Thanks
can you tell me where you found the ones for $199 ? I’ve been trying to find one for my 2500 chevy express .
Old October 15th, 2021, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Black'95
I don't know if this would fit your vehicle but Northern Tool has these:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7875_200487875
I actually got that one from Northern Tool but had to return it. It is made for a tractor and is too narrow .
Old October 19th, 2021, 7:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Swivel seats

Has any of you been to a pull an pay junkyard? I got both seats with swivel bases for $60. They were in great condition and all I did was oil the bearings an bolt them in. Trust me on the junkyard,most vans there have lots of new parts you need

Last edited by ray caldwell; October 19th, 2021 at 7:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
William Kisselstein (April 19th, 2022)
Old October 20th, 2021, 9:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jon giannino
can you tell me where you found the ones for $199 ? I’ve been trying to find one for my 2500 chevy express .
Here's a few options:
https://shop4seats.com/van-seats/van...e-factory.html

http://www.sprinterswivel.com/Heavy-...ress-1997-2021

https://www.discountvantruck.com/rvv...yseatbases.htm
Old April 18th, 2022, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Just want to plug for a product we just developed at Ironcloud Metalworks -- the Savana/Express swivel base -- it ain't the cheapest, but it certainly lives up to our motto of do it "mo' better"

You can see the details, pricing, etc. at the link below -- the first batch is open for pre-orders now (04-18-22) -- and they'll ship in June-2022.

https://ironcloudmetalworks.com/Store_ExpressSavana

I don't frequent this forum often -- so if you have questions -- feel free to ping me at Info@IroncloudMetalworks.com if I don't answer your PM or Forum post.

Cheers,
-Derek
Owner, Ironcloud Metalworks

Last edited by IroncloudMetalworks; April 18th, 2022 at 7:07 PM. Reason: Adding photos
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (April 18th, 2022)
Old April 18th, 2022, 8:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by IroncloudMetalworks
Just want to plug for a product we just developed ... it certainly lives up to our motto of do it "mo' better"
a video of it actually working in a van might sell me on it

Quick Reply: Recommendation for a swivel base for seat?