Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Squeal while moving in reverse

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2019, 11:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Squeal while moving in reverse

Have a 2005 Express 2500, chasing item #5 from PO. When in reverse, while rolling there is a slow high squeal, sounds in time with the propeller shaft. I read somewhere that it was probably the u-joints in the shaft and started replacement. After I removed the shaft from the diff yoke, I happened to rotate a tire (doing brakes too) and the squeal was still there, at the diff yoke. And only when it rotated counter clockwise (ie reverse). I listened close and watched, the sequence of the squeal is in line with the yoke, not the axle.

Thoughts? Seems fine driving forward, slow or at speed. I'm guessing pinion bearing needs replaced, but why a squeal? Shouldn't it grind, growl or something and all the time?
Old November 10th, 2019, 5:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what about a brake backing plate contacting the rotor. I've had them make noise in reverse and be quiet forward. the sound would be a tinny scraping sound.
Old November 10th, 2019, 10:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Nope, I've got the brakes off, including the parking brakes. And can tell the sound is right at the yoke from both sides.
Checking the diff fluid now, if I can get the damn fill plug out. It needs a square bit, sheesh.
Old November 11th, 2019, 1:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

that's a square drive, like on ratchet.
Old November 11th, 2019, 10:36 AM
CF Junior Member

3/8 is close, it's supposed to be a 10mm (3/8 is short .4 mm or so). I tried, scary part is it only goes into the plug about 1/8-3/16 and the plug is stuck. Fun fun fun.

Looked for a replacement, not seeing much, even from Rockauto. Surprised, these vans are all over the place, why are parts hard to find or require gold to get? Is the cargo van tax higher than the Corvette tax?!?
Old November 11th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

I just use a 3/8 extension
Amazon Amazon

fill plug should be same as drain plug right?

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 11th, 2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old November 11th, 2019, 12:12 PM
CF Junior Member

No, note that's listed for the front diff on an AWD. Might fit, hard to say. The one in my rear diff cover is more like a set screw, no head on it. Now that I look and consider 3/8, would say that one is too small.
Old November 11th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Oh I get it now. The plug comes with cover.
Old November 11th, 2019, 10:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah, guess I'll have to get a new cover...to fill the diff...that the PO didn't.
I'm already shaking from the thought of removing the cover bolts.
Old November 26th, 2019, 3:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, got the diff fluid changed, eventually. mountainmanjoe did me the favor of identifying the diff as a Dana 60 Super. Filled up to the plug hole today, while on the ground. And it still squeaks the same, like a baby carriage that needs a little oil. Forward is still fine, same as before.

Rats.
I'm hoping it's the oil seal, the squeak almost sounds like it's at the tip of the diff. But probably the pinion bearing is on its death bed. Hope it lasts until late summer.

Quick Reply: Squeal while moving in reverse