Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Turn Distributor

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2014, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Distributor

Hello,

I took my 89 G-20 cargo van to my favorite long time mechanic for a new flywheel and serpentine belt. After picking it up the next day I started it up and it sounded and drove terrible. I turned it around and brought it back. They took the dog cover off and said that they accidentally knocked two of the spark plug cables off of the distributor cap. Ok, no harm done. I started it up and although it was not as bad as it was it was still rough. I checked the firing order, changed the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor but it sounds like it may be out of timing. I was wondering if the mechanic rotated the distributor and if so can I go back and rotate it back in position? The reason I suspect the mechanic is because I don't see how someone can knock two spark plug cables off of a distributor cap by removing a dog cover.

Thanks for the help. I use my Chevy for work and am proud to keep it on the road.

Jim
Old June 6th, 2014, 6:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, check and see if the distributor is loose. Turn it a little at a time until untill it smooths out. Ideally should be done with a timing light or vacuum gage. But it they just nudged it... a little adjustment might do the trick.
Old June 8th, 2014, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

More than an inch in either direction and it would run at all. It could be a timing issue as Greenfire says.
Old June 8th, 2014, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it to a mechanic who has a similar vehicle, he put his timing light on it and it read zero. That is just what the manual recommends.
Thanks for the good advice,
Jim