Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2010 2500 Express A/C not blowing out front cabin vents

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2021, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 2500 Express A/C not blowing out front cabin vents

This sort of issue seems pretty common, however for my model I haven't been able to find the answers I'm looking for in my searches. Primarily:

1. Is there a lever arm/actuator/flap which can be manually moved to allow the air to come through the cabin directed vents (not the default defrost and floor vents)?
2. On the 2010 where is the HVAC vacuum pump? (where is the vacuum generated)

The A/C is working in that it is producing cold air. The blower is working (I have changed out the resistor a couple times in the past). There are no blown fuses.
The problem is, the vent selector dial does not do anything e.g change the air flow direction (It currently only blows out the defrost and at the floor) I think that its a vacuum issue.
I have removed the knee bolsters from both sides as well as the dash so have good access. I have checked the vacuum connections/bundle on the passenger side foot well, all seems good there connection wise (but no vacuum that I can tell). I have also examined the vacuum selector behind the vent dial, which also has no vacuum that I can hear or feel. In the engine compartment I have checked the vacuum reservoir (which was disconnected) under the battery platform. I was very excited for a minute thinking that, that was it! But reconnecting it did not help. I was surprised not so see the pump there as well, I think that's where it is in the 2011s. Looking at the line from the reservoir it seems to go over the motor on top then back towards the cabin. It seems attached but it is very difficult to see, I can't tell where it terminates. Before I continue disassembly I thought I would check in here to see if anyone had some answers and insight.

Thanks in advance~!

Old July 20th, 2021, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy5280
This sort of issue seems pretty common, however for my model I haven't been able to find the answers I'm looking for in my searches. Primarily:

1. Is there a lever arm/actuator/flap which can be manually moved to allow the air to come through the cabin directed vents (not the default defrost and floor vents)?

The A/C is working in that it is producing cold air. The blower is working (I have changed out the resistor a couple times in the past). There are no blown fuses.
The problem is, the vent selector dial does not do anything e.g change the air flow direction (It currently only blows out the defrost and at the floor) I think that its a vacuum issue.
I have removed the knee bolsters from both sides as well as the dash so have good access. I have checked the vacuum connections/bundle on the passenger side foot well, all seems good there connection wise (but no vacuum that I can tell). I have also examined the vacuum selector behind the vent dial, which also has no vacuum that I can hear or feel. In the engine compartment I have checked the vacuum reservoir (which was disconnected) under the battery platform. I was very excited for a minute thinking that, that was it! But reconnecting it did not help. I was surprised not so see the pump there as well, I think that's where it is in the 2011s. Looking at the line from the reservoir it seems to go over the motor on top then back towards the cabin. It seems attached but it is very difficult to see, I can't tell where it terminates. Before I continue disassembly I thought I would check in here to see if anyone had some answers and insight.

Thanks in advance~!
We had thought an actuator as well. If it was in a certain location in the dash, it would have been $800. Under the dash, $300. It turned out a hose had slipped off and it just needed to be tightened. Total was $160.00. Make sure you get all three quotes beforehand.
Old July 20th, 2021, 6:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 671 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy5280
No pump. Your engine makes the vacuum. Unless you have a turbo. Vacuum is taken straight from the intake. Heat makes the plastic lines get brittle and break.