Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

AC compressor leak

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2019, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor leak

I have a 2001 Express Van and found out there is a leak in AC compressor case. Does anyone know if there are any sealings that are replaceable to fix this or do I need a new compressor? See pictures where bubbles are forming on the compressor when the system is pressurized and I have sprayed soapy water on it.

Old April 30th, 2019, 11:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Your AC compressor cannot be serviced in the vehicle. Best solution is new, used or junkyard.That's a pretty bad leak, so the unit needs to be chucked and replaced.
Old May 1st, 2019, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for reply oilcanhenry. Since I posted this I have found a kit with the o-rings that would seal this leak. I will try to re-seal the compressor before buying a new one.
Old May 1st, 2019, 5:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

please post up if you repair your compressor.....
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by loopedr1
please post up if you repair your compressor.....
I will. Don´t know when I get the time to do it, but hopefully soon.
This is the repair kit I have ordered.
https://www.shopcenturyautoair.com/s...-SYS_17mm.html

Last edited by Karlson; May 3rd, 2019 at 6:09 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Your AC compressor cannot be serviced in the vehicle. Best solution is new, used or junkyard.That's a pretty bad leak, so the unit needs to be chucked and replaced.
I would have thought the same thing. Some units require specialty shop tools to rebuild.

youtube is great...post the result.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 2:18 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tech2
I would have thought the same thing. Some units require specialty shop tools to rebuild.

One may be able to find the A/C compressor body seals, but seals alone don't count as a rebuild, assuming that the OP found seals,tech2. To me, it's like overhauling a
carburetor with the gasket kit alone, while the throttle shaft is leaking air, which was really common in the old non-FI engines. Used to see lots of newbies waste their money trying to repair a worn-out carburetor with a carb gasket kit. The carb is still going to suck in dirty air at the throttle shaft on both sides of the throttle body.

At that point, one needs to line bore the throttle body, then press in the brass/bronze bushings that most aluminum carbs never came with (and assuming you could/can find them), and perhaps replace the throttle shaft, a very time-consuming task, then simply finding a good throttle body, Same thing with the power piston bore on a carb. If it's worn out, a new piston isn't going to be a true long-term rebuild. These may, or may not, be a proper analogy to the A/C pump, but I hope you understood my point.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2

I will post the result, whether it's going well or bad.

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
One may be able to find the A/C compressor body seals, but seals alone don't count as a rebuild, assuming that the OP found seals,tech2. To me, it's like overhauling a
carburetor with the gasket kit alone, while the throttle shaft is leaking air, which was really common in the old non-FI engines. Used to see lots of newbies waste their money trying to repair a worn-out carburetor with a carb gasket kit. The carb is still going to suck in dirty air at the throttle shaft on both sides of the throttle body.

At that point, one needs to line bore the throttle body, then press in the brass/bronze bushings that most aluminum carbs never came with (and assuming you could/can find them), and perhaps replace the throttle shaft, a very time-consuming task, then simply finding a good throttle body, Same thing with the power piston bore on a carb. If it's worn out, a new piston isn't going to be a true long-term rebuild. These may, or may not, be a proper analogy to the A/C pump, but I hope you understood my point.
I understood your point and thank you for taking the time to reply!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 1:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

not worth it for a shop to do this as any problems would be a free repair. but if your doing it for yourself...$25 and some time is all you are out.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 6:53 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Karlson
I will post the result, whether it's going well or bad.

I understood your point and thank you for taking the time to reply!
No problem, Karlson. I wish you well in your task replacing this A/C seal.