Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

All this Sound System talk....

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2018, 7:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually Joe, it makes perfect sense, if you take into account that analog cell technology was phased out years ago, and your OnStar probably falls into this category. A law can't keep older technology in place. But as long as the equipment is compatible, it must have the ability to dial 911.
Old November 30th, 2018, 8:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

That's what I'm saying. My analog OnStar (or whatever) isn't compatible with modern communication towers. Unless you're saying that they kept some analog transceivers around just so people can make 911 calls with obsolete equipment?
Old November 30th, 2018, 8:31 PM
CF Veteran

Dan, so I sorta get the whole "I want to build it myself" thing, but at what point do you decide that it's not worth your time? Getting some piece of equipment that, after modifications, will do the job, gives you satisfaction seems good, but at what cost of time and effort? As I approach the age of 62 (next birthday), I've learned to temper these desires with the reality that my time is at a premium. At this point, I tend to concentrate on making things that aren't currently commercially available. Surely, there are amplifiers that are inexpensive that will do the job. Far be it for me to poo poo your enthusiasm. But life is short. Something like those Hertz amps would certainly do the job, providing they're working properly.

All of this is just my humble opinion, and in no way influenced by the amount of vodka I have consumed this evening. It is Friday, after all.
Old November 30th, 2018, 8:45 PM
CF Veteran

Joe, you don't expect one of these to work, do you?
Old November 30th, 2018, 8:58 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Take everything I wrote in the above post with salt. There is a lot of assuming in that post. It looks like Class "D" Amps, Digital really is the way to go. From looking at the boards they do not look like as much fun. This page explains the differences between all the amplifier types rather well. Explained well enough that even I can understand it on the first pass.

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/a...ex.mvp/id/5590

Time Investment - yes, you are absolutely right. The only real reason it is not worth my time is because it takes too long for items to ship. By the time they arrive I forget why I ordered them! I like learning, absorbing, researching, distracting myself...

Onstar - ha! Point well made. A person should get more than three, four or five years on a $30,000+ investment though. What if I bought my truck just for the Onstar?

Last edited by dberladyn; November 30th, 2018 at 9:07 PM.
Old November 30th, 2018, 9:18 PM
CF Veteran

If memory serves, they did offer, for a limited time, to upgrade the phone to digital for a very reasonable cost.
Old November 30th, 2018, 9:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Yes. It was a free upgrade for me. The catch was I had to sign up. Actually, it might have been completely free as I bought my truck just before/as they began switching over. I was going to and then bad things really started happening in my life and it never got done.

---

You know what you should do? You should buy one of these for $5:

... then build this circuit:

.... and then tell me how your 100W Mono Amplifier with 0.008% THD sounds. For a head start here's a helping hand . Going up to a 150W is completely optional and fully up you.

--

PS. I figured out the Power Supply Voltages. It doesn't matter in regards to the final Speaker Voltage. That is what the Source determines. However, typically if you increase the Power Supply Voltage (which may require you to change IC Chips) you increase the Signal Amperage. Increased Signal Amperage is increased Wattage. Wattage that you are sending to the Speakers. This all makes sense to me now. It's just a lot of information to digest at once. Also, some AC boards do not mind having a DC Supply Voltage put to them. In some cases it seems to lead to lower voltage requirements (perhaps with higher amperage's requirements, I don't know but either way that would be fine for our uses here). I am reading some really good reviews for some of these boards. Spending a $1000 on a Car Amplifier seems STUPID after everything I have seen today, but companies have to make money to stay in business... so they charge it and people pay it.

Just in case anyone here wants to give this a go, this article seems to cover the basics of designing and choosing your own 'Do It Yourself Amp" using an LM3886 Amplifier Chip. You do not have to use that chip, however it seems to be well respected. http://www.circuitbasics.com/design-...lifier-lm3886/

Last edited by dberladyn; November 30th, 2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old December 1st, 2018, 11:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Hertz HDP1 - 1000W Mono Amplifier

So seeing this and my blown '45W - Two Channel Amplifier' are the only car audio equipment that I have that is not installed, I thought I would open it up. I cannot see what chips they use unless I pull the board out and I do not think I am going to do that. I am look to see what I might expect if I unbolt my seat and remove the HPD4 - 150W x Four Channel Amplifier that seems to have problems. Would I be able to see what the problem is? If it is a capacitor, I'd probably be lucky as it would be swollen. A transistor, resistor, bad solder joint, cracked board, etc. That might be harder to find. I'd have to use a magnifying glass I guess. If it was something else, it would be beyond me. I wouldn't even have a repair manual for it. Nor a multi-meter to check voltages at key spots.

My self built idea. I lined up an old DENON with low power amps to disassemble and experiment with. Suddenly a bunch of old ideas came rushing in, along with the more fitting and more expensive option of a higher quality one to buy and disassemble. I just stalled out. Just glimpsing at the manuals, they are built for 6 Ohm and 8 Ohm Speakers. They handle 4 Ohm, at least the higher end stuff does, but looking at the Speaker with the huge heavy magnet that I hooked up to the Hertz amplifier while I was experimenting... I probably did damage something. Do I want to keep going like this? Not really. Stanvan is right. I am also too cheap to waste $50. I used to drop it like water at times on hobbies, but not right now. There's too many things I want to do, not enough money and really, I should be making some instead of spending weeks on what was to be a one day project.

What ever I do, it has been entertaining, educational and it's helping me mentally heal. Which is what I need. Last night I organized my tool box. You have no idea how good that felt. I need these projects to get me to start pulling pieces of my life back together. It's just how I operate inside, otherwise.. my situation does not change.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 2nd, 2018 at 1:23 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Here's what you should do. First, as I said before, a DVM can be had for cheap. Horror Fright practically gives them away. They have one for $5.99!! Then, most likely the blown amps are the finals, easy to diagnose with even the cheapest of meters. Digikey should have the chips. I once replaced a transistor in a RF amp. I had to buy 10 of them at $.39 each to get over a minimum. That 45 X 2 would be great for either tweeters or the small mid range speakers, and that big mono is perfect for a sub. Fixing these will save money, and I don't have to tell you about the satisfaction of the repair. It will be a start to a decent sound system.

Just sayin'.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 1:27 AM
CF Pro Member

A DVM ?

You know I did not know what you meant when you first mentioned it. A 'Digital Voltage Meter' ? What I call a Multi-Meter? Is this what you mean? Yeah, I keep looking at them. Then I go in circles as to which one to buy. I am really freaking picky with tools. The last one was great, but I remember I was disappointed with myself in regards to something with it when I first got it. It's just the way I think. I am all messed up. I tend to want to be super efficient with certain expenses. Tools? I just buy the best and keep it forever. That's usually the way I am. I cannot say I buy the best but I try to buy once in my lifetime.. how's that for an answer? It serves me well but it screws me over at the same time. I really despise junk tools. You are right though. If I would have found one for $5 I would have bought it. The cheapest was around $30. Over-priced junk. Everywhere I turn lately... I just see price gouging.

We do not have a "TRUMP" card up here.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 2nd, 2018 at 1:33 AM.