Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

All this Sound System talk....

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2018, 3:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm lookin' up "twank" right now.
Old December 4th, 2018, 4:03 PM
CF Veteran

From Merriam Webster;

Definition of twank

intransitive verb dialectal, chiefly England : to sound with an abrupt twang
transitive verb dialectal, chiefly England : to cause to sound with an abrupt twang
Old December 4th, 2018, 4:18 PM
CF Veteran

And here's my take on a sound system. In my early years (late 70s) I spent about 12 years as an installer. I got to do a few contest cars back in the day. I learned a lot about acoustics at one shop. Skip to the late 90s, when my son became of driving age, he wanted a "system". I had never bothered to do one for me, so along with his, I did one for me.And ever since, I've kept it up.

I've never been about huge amounts of watts. I've managed to have head units with 50ish watts X4 and an amplified sub. It sounds good when parked. You're never gonna hear the quality of more than this at speed, with road noise and all.
Old December 4th, 2018, 5:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That certainly wasn't the same definition that I looked up, but just it go. For the amount that I do listen to music... 50w is fine. For the most part, I have been happy with factory systems. I wouldn't have minded some thump at times, to be able to feel the music that is, but then.... it probably would have been good for too. I shouldn't get too personal, but often when I get a set up I like after testing I go for a drive and I turn on the music that my father would listen to as we drove for miles and miles. I then cry. He never had that. One of the the things I really wish I had done for him was to have bought him a really good radio and speakers for every vehicle he had. Looking back, I cannot even figure why I did not do that for him. I do not know if I should share that, but aside from that.. with everything I have been through.. turning up the volume and listening to the music, stopping the smell the roses in life, it is good for me. My Being needs it. Then there is just me. I like to learn. I like hobbies such as electronics, computers, assembling, building, fabricating. Mechanical work never took root in me, at least on cars. That boat sailed away on me a long time ago and I am just not interested unless I absolutely have to be.

You were an installer in the 1970's. Different era. Different Technology. Today there are very good sound proofing products to make your car extremely quiet. There is even electronic sound proofing these days. Noise Cancellation Technology. You are right though, my truck loaded with tools isn't exactly quiet at times. Things rattle if I do not pack them right. I think for me it's more about exploring the possibilities and the experience of setting it all up. I actually have to learn about acoustics and even more importantly, I have to learn how to use my ears. Which is something I am not always good at.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 4th, 2018 at 5:31 PM.
Old December 4th, 2018, 9:16 PM
CF Veteran

Not too personal at all. I think sometimes we relate to our fathers likes and preferences as a reference, not only to the actual (in this case, an earlier form of music), but to what we perceive as what we think they would appreciate. My Dad was a part time musician, playing a stand up bass, probably why I wanted a decent sub, so I could hear a stand up bass. Certainly not that alone, but important. Notable.

And yes, 70s tech certainly different. Infancy of solid state technology. At least they had the theory down, even if they couldn't get it done in reality. Interesting how vacuum tube tech is still a preference in home systems (along with a resurgence in vinyl).

Please, don't stop pausing to smell the roses. It is that, that gives us a recharge in life.
Old December 5th, 2018, 7:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude wtf you cant just jump in a convosation like u been there the whole time stanvan calling you out
Old December 5th, 2018, 8:12 AM
CF Veteran

You seem new to the whole "forum" thing, Mike. But this is how they work. And if you scroll back, you'll see that I have been here. In this thread. Before you joined up.
Old December 5th, 2018, 8:22 AM
CF Junior Member

um dont use my first name like you know me i been in the conversation between me and dberlady since beginning and you have not said a thing so u scroll up !@#$%
Old December 5th, 2018, 9:09 AM
CF Veteran

I'm gonna try and de-escalate this, so think before you respond. I have been in this thread since the beginning. the 4th post is mine. this thread started in November, before you were a member. Maybe you took offense to the whole "Twank" thing, but as far as I am concerned, it was all in fun. My apologies if you think otherwise. I meant no disrespect.

A forum is a place to learn and share ideas, and solve problems. This isn't Facebook. Get rid of the anger.Life is too short to be mad at people.
Old December 5th, 2018, 9:56 AM
CF Junior Member

the twank thing isnt what started this sorry about my late responding im at school so i cant always respond instantly but still you just jumped in an started getting in it like ya i been in the whole thing