Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

All this Sound System talk....

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2018, 9:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well.. lol ...

I have to laugh at myself. For one, I am self-conscious of the neighbours. Every time I fiddle with installing a better sound system or making changes or really anything.. I feel like a teenager and it somewhat embarrasses me. Especially with my overall situation. I just feel that I am getting judged as I toy around outside adjusting this, adjusting that. Trying to out this idea. It affects me while I do things. It's not just the neighbours, it is a lot of dynamics. No one probably cares unless I make noise. If I was working more and installing work tools and shelves I wouldn't feel this way.

So this is what I did. I eventually got over myself by the time early evening was coming. I went out there until dark. Currenty there is nine channels of amplifiers in the truck and six speakers. As I kept adjusting everything... I unplugged the speakers one by one to ensure the digital signal processor was hooked up properly. At some point I did this to the mid-ranges. In fact I think I did it several times. During this unplugging and replugging... I began hooking them up to the signal out port instead of the signal in port on the specific amplifier. Since that is mounted under the seat upside down... lol.. everytime I took a flashlight and peered through that hole in the side of the seat base I kept assuring myself that that was plugged in correct and it was the setting switches.

The van was parked for the last few days as I lost enthusiasm for everything. I tried canceling the android radio as they delayed the order but I do not know where that is at. I've changed my mind. I should have went different route with that for less money. I could have built my own with much higher quality. Anyways as I was driving with the radio off tonight I just reached over and turned it on. Turning up the volume I thought it doesn't sound that bad on four speakers instead of six. I get high frequencies. I get low frequencies. It works, it's just missing the mid frequencies. I pulled into a parking lot and thought I should try playing with the settings again. Maybe I will find the bad switch or the bad pot. More comfortable and not caring what strangers think of me peering under the seat with the truck running I unplugged the signal wires one by one again. I had a hard time plugging them from the angle I was crouching. Then I noticed... they were plugged into the wrong ports on the amplifier. So simple to do. So simple to miss. Especially upside down, crouched and reaching into a little hole with a flash light.

Everything works but my brain!

Now the settings on the amps are all out of adjustment. I wish I had a warm lighted large garage I could pull into. I am going to dismount that amp and lay it on the floor for the time being. Then I am going to put it on a shelf where I can slide it out, make adjustments, and slide it back in. If I could do it all over again though... I think I would build my own amps. I got a good deal on these but... I just want everything a certain way. I want no extra connecting points. No multiple places to make changes to settings (it's too confusing). I would optimize the heat-sinks and how everything is mounted. Whatever. I am where I am now. I should just keep it simple.

Amplified Chimes

I definitely have to order some new Tweeters. Once I have new Tweeters I can move these current ones down to the doors so the chimes hook directly into them from the radio. Amplifeed Chimes with the settings out of adjustment on the amplifier...? It's like being next to a church bell when someone hits it with the hammer. It's too much. The turn signal clicker sounds awesome though. Super high detail and way way too loud.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 3rd, 2018 at 9:36 PM.
Old December 4th, 2018, 9:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I couldn't deal with a lot of adjustment. Besides, with the constant ringing in my ears (Tinnitus) I can't hear the small adjustments. I just went with the head powering everything except the sub. As far as I can tell, it sounds good.

I used to be able to hear the difference between round and oval speakers. At least I can still hear when the HD radio goes from analog to digital.
Old December 4th, 2018, 9:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a avalanche sittin on 34" super swampers and have 2 subwoofers and a concert speaker right behind the back seat the whole truck shakes
Old December 4th, 2018, 12:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by mikedyer123
I got a avalanche sittin on 34" super swampers and have 2 subwoofers and a concert speaker right behind the back seat the whole truck shakes
I only want to be able to do that when some punk is beside me playing music no one likes. However, I am not going to install 15" woofers or anything like that so... of course... I guess a guy could mount them underneath...? Right now I can feel the doors vibrate to the tune of the music. You can feel it right through the door. I am going to install one or two ten-to-twelve inch subs just for some kick.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 4th, 2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old December 4th, 2018, 12:44 PM
CF Pro Member

Online Purchases

Well... they wrote back and said they shipped it so... I guess that's that. I just partly regret this purchase. Not because this isn't a good Head Unit for many purposes, but because for what I actually would like to do I paid twice as much for less than half the quality to do what I actually want. I might be discarding everything but the LCD screen and the plastic shroud you see here. Rather than use the supplied electronics, I will hook it up to a small computer using better hardware running on either Linux or Windows. I could use Android as an OS, but I would have to learn my way around it. With Linux I could probably just run a small web server with a browser running in full screen mode. With this I could code my own pages with PHP using my own images and layout linking to different hardware. I was doing this from home many years ago. Playing with different devices. It actually worked well. From what I browsed online this really is not too much different from what car manufacturers are doing. Anyways, it gets me "in the game" so to speak. I can always upgrade much slower, crossing bridges when I get there. Or simply sell this. Or just accept it as is.

I have a feeling they still have not shipped it. It sounded like they were assembling it on Saturday. They wanted five more days (probably for some part). I think they just told me they shipped it because they do not want to lose the sale. Oh well. I committed to buying it when I paid for it.

(By the way, why would I bother? Just for a hobby and exploring some customization I wanted)

Last edited by dberladyn; December 4th, 2018 at 1:04 PM.
Old December 4th, 2018, 12:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I only want to be able to do that when some punk is beside me playing music no one likes. However, I am not going to install 15" woofers or anything like that so... of course... I guess a guy could mount them underneath...? Right now I can feel the doors vibrate to the tune of the music. You can feel it right through the door. I am going to install one or two ten-to-twelve inch subs just for some kick.
right now i dont know if your being a twank or just a guy
Old December 4th, 2018, 12:51 PM
CF Pro Member

Just a guy. Personally I do not like it when people pull up beside me cranking junk music. It was nothing against you. I am more like Stanvan in regards to using a radio. The only reason I have even gone down this path at all with the amplifiers and speakers is because I purchased them all so cheap. Now I may as well enjoy it all.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 4th, 2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old December 4th, 2018, 12:55 PM
CF Junior Member

hey dberlady i want to make it clear i was not trying to accuse you you were you did not sound like you were i understand a just do the subs for the bass
Old December 4th, 2018, 1:08 PM
CF Pro Member

It's all good. I had to look up the definition of that expression anyways.
Old December 4th, 2018, 1:14 PM
CF Junior Member

please accept my freind request and my message