Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Anybody have air shocks?

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2021, 6:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody have air shocks?

I just installed air shocks on my 95 conversion van. With all the conversion stuff, and being 25 years old, it needs a little help. It's kind of always towing. I remember in the 80's i put air shocks on a Camaro and it would jack it WAY up. ha ha.

These shocks have a 200 psi max. I can only pump them up to about 150 psi and it only raises it .5 inch.

Is there so much weight that it's not going to really lift it much? Like the best I should expect would be to restore or maintain factory height?

I don't even have a way to pump past 150 psi...
Old January 31st, 2021, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

what product did you install? post a link.
springs are designed to support weight. shocks are designed to stop jounce and rebound oscillation, not correct ride height. I know gm used factory air shocks for leveling but an air spring is a better alternative.
Old April 1st, 2021, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnt365
I just installed air shocks on my 95 conversion van. With all the conversion stuff, and being 25 years old, it needs a little help. It's kind of always towing. I remember in the 80's i put air shocks on a Camaro and it would jack it WAY up. ha ha.

These shocks have a 200 psi max. I can only pump them up to about 150 psi and it only raises it .5 inch.

Is there so much weight that it's not going to really lift it much? Like the best I should expect would be to restore or maintain factory height?

I don't even have a way to pump past 150 psi...
Air shocks weren't designed to change height of vehicle. They were designed to adjust ride according load. If you're looking to change height add adjustable shackles. But keep in mind old springs sag. You may need new springs. If you changed engine from six cylinder to eight cylinder. You will need V8 springs. And maybe complete V8 suspension. I've used air shock's and found best ride between 60 and 80 PSI.

Good luck

Old school mechanic