Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Best up grades done

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2017, 4:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's cool. I just had limited visibility in my last van, and wanted more. You, apparently want less. It would be a boring place if everyone wanted the same stuff.
Old December 6th, 2017, 5:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire and Wheel Combo GMC Express

I have been doing some home work using the Tire Calculator.
I have on the van right now 245/75R16 Good Year Wranglers.
tire ply is 8 for load capacity for pulling my 24ft trailer
I have bought the wheels I was talking about..
and now planning on which tires to install on the wheels.
now keep in mind.. the ones I have on there now are 16 inch
and I am moving up to 17 inch
I am wanting to go to 265/75R17... Diameter 32.6 and the width is 10.4
so I am just throwing this out there brain storming a little...
I will know more tomorrow I will be able to go get the wheels
I will have the tires dismounted... and bring the wheels back I will then
fit them on the front of the van.. JUST the wheel.. check out all clearance
issues if any.... then try to make an educated guess as to what I am
going to pick for the tires... Since I know guy.. and already talked with him
I will getting one tire mounted 265/75R17... and one tire 245/75/R17....
I will know much more soon....
but if someone out there has already installed said wheels and tires..
please chime in and let me know....
Old December 7th, 2017, 8:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Default 265/70r17

So pics will follow some time tomorrow... dropped off ELMO... today at Tire Discounters
were I take my other vehicles to get tires....
after doing a lot of research and then some trial fitting... I will have NEW Wheels and Tires
another friend of mine has a small tire shop.. so we fitted 245/75R17 and 265/70R17 and 285/75R17
before I fitted the tires I actually had him dismount one of the tires off of said wheel that I bought.
I wanted just the wheel so that I could see if there was any interference ( and there was ) ...... but not what
your thinking I will bet... that is the only picture I took cause I really didnt have time to
document as I was going... I was in a hurry.. and honestly just didnt think about taking all the pics
I wanted to take in the first place.. ( my fault ).. Sorry.. lol...
OK so lets start at the begining... the wheel is NOT 8 inch its 9 inches wide.. WOW yeah... I was shocked.
and the offset is PERFECT... the wheel and tire still tuck under the wheels wells like it were STOCK... lol
so.. the 285/75R17.... those monsters are too big... if I didnt have the NEW mud flaps on there they
would work ..... but would rub the front sway bar at full turn. ( not that big deal really ) just dont turn full turn .. lol
265/70R17 thats the magic tire for these wheels and wheel wells.... Now getting to the modification that I had to
do because the wheel would actually rub the ABS bracket.. for those of you that are familiar how the ABS wire is routed
and what the bracket looks like you will then see the difference .. but for the ones that are not familiar look at the pic notice I
routed the ABS wire to the right with a zip tie and then under the control arm and up on top of the arm again with another
Zip tie. well that little bracket is suppose to be straight up in the air.. I hammered the bracket down which allowed the clearance
look at the picture Its very faint ... but I have red arrows pointing to the ABS bracket I bent down.
I needed for the wheel to clear so just minor rerouting and zip tieing.. and done problem solved.
so I will post more pictures of the Van tomorrow.. in the sun light.after I install the center caps and shine the tires.
Attached Thumbnails Best up grades done-van-before-new-wheels-tires.jpg   Best up grades done-abs-wire-red-marker.jpg  
Old December 7th, 2017, 8:25 PM
CF Pro Member

Check out what I scored... at my Buddies Junk yard .....
They got in 3 new vans ... new to them and me lol that is....
YELLOW... van long wheel base cargo....its whats in the back that interested me...
so here are some pics...
the wood back behind the brackets and the long plankes... that wood is all ONE PIECE...
ohhhhh MMMM GGGGG that just made my upgrade alot easier lol
I am not for sure if I am going to use the brackets or plankes but if I want to I have
them.. I mainly wanted the wood sheeting,...
Attached Thumbnails Best up grades done-yellow-van-driver-side.jpg   Best up grades done-yellow-van-left-right-side-1.jpg   Best up grades done-yellow-van-right-side-2.jpg  
Old December 7th, 2017, 11:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run the same rims on my van. Those rims are 16" from a Suburban/Silverado, unless you have some unique wheels or GM made identical design in 17" size.
When I had 265/75R16, the fronts rubbed at turns, I went back to stock size.
Old December 8th, 2017, 6:50 AM
CF Pro Member

ARTIE... the pic.... i showed was a before pic LMAO. Those are NOT my new wheels....
Those are 6.5 inch wide 2500 silverado hd wheel... my post tells you pictures will follow tomorrow with my new wheels. Lol
Old December 8th, 2017, 6:58 AM
CF Pro Member

I appologized to you guys cause I didnt take the pictures I should have. To document what I did each step of the way.
IT WAS COLD OUTSIDE.... lol... I just wanted to get the fitment done.... and when I found out the NEW wheels worked as well as they did well I got more excited to get Elmo to Tire Discounters....
I usually document everything..... but i only had my cell and it was in the van I just didnt think about it...m. Trust me Im bummed about it. Cause I should have taking a pic of those
285/70R17 on there. Those are Monster tires and raised the van up at least 3 inches over stock.....
Old December 8th, 2017, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice score on Ol yeler there!

just another really good reason to drive up there to see you!

btw, did ya have any more of those three way dome fixtures left? Like the one StanVan has?
Old December 8th, 2017, 1:05 PM
CF Pro Member

Thanks Dan....
I have several parts for you ... they are not going any were..
so when your plans fit and you can make the trip..
they are here waiting for ya...
Old December 8th, 2017, 1:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Here are the pics together.. of course keep in mind the center caps are not installed..
before and after I guess you could say.
my opinion they look alot like the old style mag wheels.
kinda the theme throw back to the 70's
Attached Thumbnails Best up grades done-van-before-new-wheels-tires.jpg   Best up grades done-new-wheels-1.jpg   Best up grades done-mag-wheel.jpg  

Quick Reply: Best up grades done