Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Blower fan making noise

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2023, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blower fan making noise

Happy Thanksgiving All!

I've got a 2004 Chevrolet Express 1500 awd 5.3 v8 about 173k miles.

Just got a new Optima red top battery put in it a few days ago and I think right about then actually I started to hear a noise coming from the blower fan that blows air thru the air vents.

in 2019 thru 2020, I had an old 1998 Subaru legacy outback station wagon that had over 200k miles and the blower fan would hardly work at all, took it to a mechanic shop and it turned out the blower motor went out. It needed a new blower motor.

Could it be the same problem with this chevy van? The blower fan hasn't completely stopped working/blowing yet. However, tonight I turned the key to ACC, and the fan speed control on the dash [temp control area] was at the 2nd setting from the lowest and I heard the noise that presumably the blower fan was making.

Can upload a HD video too, so y'all can hear it.
Old November 23rd, 2023, 1:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by Samguy2000
Could it be the same problem with this chevy van? .
Well it's 19 years old, so yup. It wouldn't be unusual at all.
You could even verify by putting a couple drops of oil on the blower motor shaft bushing to see if the noise goes away.
And I mean that only as a troubleshooting measure. If it turns out to be the case, then replace the motor ASAP otherwise it'll burn out the resistor and those aren't cheap either.
Old November 23rd, 2023, 1:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Happy Thanksgiving

Well it's 19 years old, so yup. It wouldn't be unusual at all.
You could even verify by putting a couple drops of oil on the blower motor shaft bushing to see if the noise goes away.
And I mean that only as a troubleshooting measure. If it turns out to be the case, then replace the motor ASAP otherwise it'll burn out the resistor and those aren't cheap either.

ok, if you want, i could shoot a video tommorrow morning when i go to start it up? then upload it to youtube or imgur or something. I don't know where the blower motor is, and on the old subaru, we took that old thing to the mechanic repair shop and the guy there had to take apart the dash.

Last edited by Samguy2000; November 23rd, 2023 at 1:58 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2023, 1:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

sure if you want. But I mean if the noise starts and stops with the heater controls then it's a pretty sure thing.
Old November 23rd, 2023, 2:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
sure if you want. But I mean if the noise starts and stops with the heater controls then it's a pretty sure thing.

well, i've noticed in recent days that when the temp control **** is over all the way to the right at the highest maxium heat setting it sounds like the blower is blowing fine [especially at higher, highway speeds] but then when i move the temp control **** to it still being on the warm side of the spectrum, i will hear this weird kind of raspy noise coming from the blower. i don't know why that is. however, this noise that i just started hearing probably coming from the blower fan doesn't sounds too good. it kind of sounds like it's on it's last legs...