Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

05 suburban Hvac problems...please help!

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2019, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 suburban Hvac problems...please help!

I went to shut off my suburban the other night and realized the fan motor was still running, next day battery dead, I was in a hurry that night. Jumped it and found the blower motor will ramp up and down with the dash control panel but it will not shut off when I turn it off. Shut off the ignition and the blower stays on the lowest setting. Any ideas?
Old November 16th, 2019, 9:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Judd Boswell
I went to shut off my suburban the other night and realized the fan motor was still running, next day battery dead, I was in a hurry that night. Jumped it and found the blower motor will ramp up and down with the dash control panel but it will not shut off when I turn it off. Shut off the ignition and the blower stays on the lowest setting. Any ideas?
I've got an idea. Because Mrs. Cusser's 2005 Yukon had the same issue this past summer, but I pulled the fuse so the battery never discharged. Yes, the front blower fan would still blow after the key was off and out of the Yukon. And a couple of days later sometimes the blower fan would simply not come on, and going without AC is not a viable option in Arizona summer.

Since I knew I'd be "responsible" if I did the repair myself - and I hate intermittents - and it's awkward to get under the dash on the passenger side - we took to the independent shop we've used for 2 decades. The fix was to replace BOTH the blower fan and the blower resistor. The mechanic was experienced with this issue, said his experience was that one being iffy would damage the other. So he replaced both to fix the issue.

Since I ask for the old parts, I could feel that the bearings in the blower fan had more resistance than optimum. But at 210K miles, that factory blower fan and resistor sure got a lot of use !!!