Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front Blower Fan Issue

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Blower Fan Issue

I encountered a weird problem with my fan yesterday on my way home from work. I usually have it set to automatic and about 68 degrees. I noticed that it wasn't blowing so I increased the fan speed manually and nothing happened. I kept increasing it until it was set to max and the fan cut on and was blowing full blast. I tried to decrease the fan speed but it wouldn't respond, I even tried turning the unit off with no effect. I pulled into a gas station and turned the engine off completely but the fan kept blowing. Finally I got home and pulled the fuse to the blower and the fan finally stopped. I fiddled with it for a little bit with no luck so I disconnected the battery and let the car sit overnight. When I got home today I tried it again with the same results. Now the suburban is sitting in my driveway with the battery disconnected.

(Both the front and rear controls are automatic)

Does anyone have any suggestions???

It's a 2005 Suburban LT.

Thanks!!!

Beaseac
Old May 20th, 2008, 9:26 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Front Blower Fan Issue

Sounds like a bad blower motor control processor. Which is basically just a solid state blower motor resistor that changes fan speeds depending on what the hvac controls commands it to do.

The control processor is located under the passenger side of the dash and is screwed up near the blower motor
Old May 20th, 2008, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks shwnvw! Do you know if this is something I can pick up at Autozone or Advance Auto? Is it difficult to replace?

Thanks!

Beaseac
Old May 21st, 2008, 7:25 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Super easy to replace, And the part is more than likely a dealer item, but it wouldn't hurt to ask autozone
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

I installed the part on Thursday. I ended up purchasing it from my local Chevy dealership for about $120 after tax. I could have ordered it for a little less but probably wouldn't have gotten it before memorial day weekend. I did notice that RockAuto (or something like that) sells a different item that supposidly replaces this one. I figure if this goes out again I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your help!

Beaseac
Old July 31st, 2016, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Had the same problem where as my suburban was turned off but the blower was still running. I replaced the resistor an everything went back to normal operations...
Old July 31st, 2016, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Now I'm having problems with the blower not turning on, put a new blower motor but problem still persist... Fuses appear ok, could it be a relay ?????
Old August 1st, 2016, 9:56 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Troy Tauzin Welcome to the forum
IT could be relay or possibly the switch
Old December 22nd, 2019, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same issue right now. I've replaced everything and its still not working. did you ever figure it out?