Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Chevrolet express 3500 5.7 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2015, 5:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd also add that you should pick up a Haynes repair manual for that van. They will save you some time, and help you see how things are put together. Well worth the 25 bucks.
Old March 5th, 2020, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solenoid going bad

I had the same exact problem that you are explaining and crawling through the internet then reading other forms in posts people explained that when there is a click and nothing happens is most likely the solenoid you have to go underneath the car and next to starter there are 2 looking bolts/connectors (Google how it looks like) next to the tranny case. anyways when you find it you have to have someone help you start it because one person has two turn the key while the other person at the same exact time touches the two bolts with a screwdriver or something metal and that will start the car don't be scared when you see sparks flying just do it quick when the person cranks and that car should start assuming the battery is good and the starter but that's another thing to troubleshoot

Last edited by Yarik Marar; March 5th, 2020 at 9:55 AM.
Old March 6th, 2020, 2:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodboy182
Hi !
Thanks for your quick reply!
When the truck does not start, the headlights are working and the heater blower runs fine, the radio too, all the accessories worked fine. I test it again next day and it starts right up, but I did not do anything!!! I find that it starts slowly, the motor cranks slowlyyyy. Is it possible it could be a bad ground on starter or rust on positive cable?
It could be the Starter Solenoid or the starter itself.
Clean off all the electrical terminals on the starter and the ground to the starter. Also check the wires from the battery to the starter. Then try starting it.
How old is the battery?
What is the cold cranking amperage of the battery?
If you've done the battery and wire cleaning/checking and the issue is still there, I'd get another starter.

Last edited by Ron6519; March 6th, 2020 at 2:18 PM.
Old March 6th, 2020, 4:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

@Ron6519

Make sure you check the date of posts you reply to. I don't think he's still having this problem 5 years later.
Old March 6th, 2020, 10:36 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
@Ron6519

Make sure you check the date of posts you reply to. I don't think he's still having this problem 5 years later.
I don't ever think the dates of the original post are at all relevant. The point of the post is correct and anyone who search's for a similar problem will get pertinent information.
Unless you think the information is incorrect, then it can be removed.
Old March 7th, 2020, 2:32 AM
Super Moderator

ordinarily I might agree. But there's probably a bajillion posts about starting problems.

And you were directing questions at the OP like "how old is your battery?" as if he were still here.
Old March 7th, 2020, 12:19 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
ordinarily I might agree. But there's probably a bajillion posts about starting problems.

And you were directing questions at the OP like "how old is your battery?" as if he were still here.
Still doesn't matter to me when the post was listed. Think of it as being a blind squirrel finding a nut.
Old March 8th, 2020, 12:22 PM
CF Active Member

[QUOTE=mountainmanjoe;444194]ordinarily I might agree. But there's probably a bajillion posts about starting problems."

There are 500 posts for "Starting Problems" And the one I replied to is the second one on the list.
Old March 8th, 2020, 1:36 PM
Super Moderator

that's because you just replied to it.

Personally, I just think it's more productive to answer topics as they come in.