Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

do high top explorers moon roofs leak?

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2022, 11:57 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default do high top explorers moon roofs leak?

do high top explorers moon roofs leak?
my next 04+ express explorer hightop mite have a rear sunroof/moonroof.
1.do they open to allow outside air in? I'm thinking there not designed to open bc where would the drain tube route outside?
2.do they leak? or did gm do a good job on sealing?

after 23+ years of my trans am dripping T-top the moonroof could be a deal breaker.

Last edited by the Brain; February 3rd, 2022 at 12:29 PM.
Old February 5th, 2022, 2:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

GM didn't make it, an upfitter did when they converted it. You'd have to check with that company for details on what options it has. I would imagine the sunroof itself is sourced from somebody who makes them.
Old March 14th, 2022, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2009 does not, but you must get that thing for a good price. They make a horrible quality conversion. Not even close to those 90s conversion you are probably familiar with. You will have to go through it 100% to make sure there are no wiring issues or any other blunders. off the top of my head these are the three big issues:

1 - exterior trim held on by sheet metal screws. The body panels probably rusting underneath.
2 - the wiring behind the panels in the van is atrocious. They are probably bare in areas.
3- check to make sure the correct rubber was placed on the van. The 20" wheels are Chinese junk. Not hub centric - has the largest bore of this bolt pattern. The thin rubber is a death with on this 7.5K lb unloaded van. When you do blow one up - its very easy trust me, you might not have the tools to replace them. They require a very thin socket. I replaced mine soon after destroying a tire on a smooth curb with 17" LT rubber and rims from a Silverado. It's a totally different animal now. Shame on them for installing 20" wheels on a van that will be loaded with peoples entire family.

The rear sunroof is a joke. What in the world is it for? It's really small and does not let much air in, but yes it does open. There is a switch on the roof by the accent lights. I'm going to remove it and install one of those max air fans in its place.

if you don't get a great deal on it then its not worth it at all - they require a few thousand dollars to sort out.

Last edited by avongil; March 15th, 2022 at 1:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bearbait (March 28th, 2022)
Old March 28th, 2022, 12:44 PM
CF Active Member

I've owned the02 southern comfort & 99 a rocky ridge, they seam lower quality compared to the Explorer.
I thought the Explorer was the highest conversion available.

I've been informed that some sunroofs open and some don't, sucks buying online.

didn't know the 20" rims where junk, I know the larger rims waste power but make up for it w/ a smoother ride especially w/ 50psi, to bad Explorer chinesed them up. did you think about a larger than 17" before you did the swap? are the swapped wheels steel? & what series are you running.

what wiring are you referring to is substandard? I thinking the taillights wiring is GM are referring to the mood lights? or the TV wiring?

that van sold for just around $12K however it was a ILL vehicle. must have been taken care of underneath.
anyway here's a 012 savana w/ a new front clip ebay fenders & hood unpainted w/ a express grill, I noticed right away (can't see the gaps at doors but it looks OK & a reconstructed title, but a 6 litre (do 2500s w/ 6litre come w/ 4L80E?) I understand 010 an newer has the 6L60E which I don't want. front clip & rims either are deal breakers for me at this point how much doe's rebuilt titlle devalues .
private sellers have gotton extremely greedy.

it has the 20" rims are they what you had?what engraved on the rims explorer?

edit the pass front wheel appears to be spaced outward.

edit2: I have expensive SSR rims on my car 20 years ago they where $450 each the folks at tire rack also sold me a thin walled socket made by gorilla a must have to remove wheel a regular thickness socket wouldn't fit.

Last edited by the Brain; March 28th, 2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old March 28th, 2022, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 20" tires I had were a about 300 lbs under rated for the the rear. They were passenger car tires and very weak. I got the 17s because I liked how they looked and I could also get an LT rated tire for it. The sidewall of that tire is so strong, you can bounce the van off curbs. The slightest Knick with the low profile tires will destroy the them. I was lucky to make it home on them - we went camping and drove up some rocky patches. They are not a good choice for our use case - camping and possibly towing junk. The LT tires are awesome, I lowered the pressure to 65 for a comfy ride when unloaded and now I dont worry about curbs or rocks. I also removed the side skirts and am in the process of replacing the rug with a more mud resistant material. So I guess I learned my lesson!

The sunroof is destined to be deleted soon and replaced with a maxairfan. The opening is 26 x 17 in mine. I would not be afraid to modify that sunroof to make it do what you want it to do - it is aftermarket anyway.
The following users liked this post:
the Brain (April 12th, 2022)
Old April 12th, 2022, 10:50 AM
CF Active Member

post up some images of the new wheels/tires and no side skirts.