Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The ELM/Torque thread

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 602 Posts

Nothing secret. Just chose gm specific pids in the options. Might require the paid app
Old November 20th, 2019, 10:58 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Nothing secret. Just chose gm specific pids in the options. Might require the paid app
I have the paid app and a blue ELM327 mini. This thread largely discusses the inability to see trans temp on 2008+ vans. I am not alone. Would you mind sharing a screenshot showing this info along with a picture or a link to the adapter you use?
Old November 20th, 2019, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Artie, I saw "Current Gear" in that pic you posted, and tried it on my '16. Didn't work. Have you run the ELM ID app to see what version your Blur Mini is?
Old November 21st, 2019, 8:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Artie1
I have the paid app and a blue ELM327 mini. This thread largely discusses the inability to see trans temp on 2008+ vans. I am not alone. Would you mind sharing a screenshot showing this info along with a picture or a link to the adapter you use?

Old November 21st, 2019, 9:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

MMJ why did you use my Torque display with your Blue Mini version 1.5, my version 2.2? You told Artie1 that you could get the Trans Fluid Temp on your 2013 express with a Blue Mini? But you are showing my display. I don't remember seeing any Torque display from your van.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Twscarp; November 21st, 2019 at 9:49 PM.
Old November 21st, 2019, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Because I don't normally use it and I don't feel like installing the app and setting everything up again. Artie will just have to take my word for it that it works.
Old November 21st, 2019, 11:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered this for my van. They said it does not work on vans, but did they actually try it on a van, or did they say that out of avoiding liability? Because it was made for GMT900 pick ups, which are 2007.5-2014, and GM van cluster was redesigned in 2008 so it most likely is talking the same language.
Yep, that's why I mentioned DashLogic, because having that info integrated into the DIC is preferable (except for the limit on how much can be displayed at once). The Palmer support rep did not state that they'd tested it, just that their "engineers had looked into it" and determined that the DL1045U DashLogic ("Supports all GMT900 Diesel Engine Models") would not work on a 2008+ LMM/LGH van. That was in May 2017. I've asked for an update, have gotten no answer (so far) but I doubt that anything has changed. My guess is that DashLogic doesn't work on vans because the van IP cluster software is probably slightly different compared to a pickup, just like so many other little minor details on van-vs.-pickups (with the ECM OS being the most well-known). It's probably something that Palmer could easily fix if there was demand, but I DashLogic is probably already a too low-volume product in pickups, with demand for it in vans maybe 1% of that.
Old November 21st, 2019, 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely understand your intention.
Oh, so that's why you kept questioning why I wanted to see temps like trans temp, and why you kept making suggestions such as a $3 no-warranty part that I could keep in glovebox?
Sure.

Your application is your business, and it's up to you to find the tool you need.
That was the crux of my inquiry.

But this topic isn't about you,
This topic isn't about all the stuff you and Stan went back & forth about in posts 90 thru 112 either.

I'm trying to provide information that might be useful to anybody wanting to know more about this stuff.
Then write your own DIY primer sticky thread or bloq.
When people come here looking for an objective factual answer to a straightforward question (and that is what mine was), a lot of extraneous BS doesn't help them get there.
I'm sure you'd like to believe you're being really, really, helpful to people. Good intentions, and all that.
But you might want to re-evaluate the real reason why you post the things you do. Not going to happen, right?

I get no satisfaction from correcting you. I just want people to get accurate information.
Which is pretty laughable, considering all the mistakes you made. Here's one I quoted so if you go back and change the original;
Tech 2 does not work on CAN vehicles. You need a GM MDI box and a software license. No clones because it's all online. If you need to ask what it costs then you can't afford it.
Less than $200, actually. About like a Tech2 clone. Google: "gm mdi clone"

This is an opinion forum so you might hear some differing opinions
This is not strictly an "opinion" forum, nor is this an "opinion" thread. If that's what you want to do, maybe you should consider doing it somewhere else.

Whether or not LMM van trans temp is available in TorquePro using any given OBD scanner is not a matter of opinion.
It either is, or it isn't. Nor is how exactly is it accessible a matter of opinion.
If someone knows the answer, great! That's what I asked for.
I did not ask for an answer buried in a haystack of volunteered "opinions" about tangentally related issues, especially those that end up seeming very much like an argument about my reasons for wanting to do what I asked to begin with.

Don't pretend like you had a simple question and I was somehow withholding information.
As I mentioned already, you did eventually get around to answering the original question. As I also mentioned, by then I'd found the correct answer elsewhere, in a fraction of the time I'd already spent responding to you.
The main problem both before and after that was that you provided your (unsolicited) opinions went off on way too many unrelated - and largely trivial - tangents.

If that were the case, you wouldn't have just gone and quickly deleted your posts to hide it. That's bad forum ju-ju, by the way.
I left my posts that provided direct objective information.
Your picayune pontifications, nor my repeated attempts to clarify, mainly serve to clutter up this thread for anyone actually trying to learn something.
And I deleted my participation in back & forth posts with you that amount to little more than a p*ssing contest, which I regret allowing myself to be sucked into.
But it's the same dynamic that exists in all forums like this. There's always a few guys like you who seem to relish dumping a sh*tload of opinions instead of giving a simple answer.

And Now I *AM* done, because I really do not have time to spend
Feel free to re-interpret what I've said and/or clutter up this thread to your heart's content.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Oh hi. You're back with more extraneous BS. I thought you concluded your involvement or something.

Originally Posted by VP-2019
a $3 no-warranty part
I don’t need a warranty on a $3 item.

I’ve never lost money on an eBay purchase. The sellers have to be honest if they wish to do business there, and if they jack you around then eBay guarantees your purchase.

considering all the mistakes you made. Here's one ...
*claps*
Thank you for finding that. Would you like a cookie?

There's always a few guys like you...
Once in a while there people who come asking for free help from members that take precious spare time out of their day to answer their questions, and then they whine that the answers aren't to their satisfaction or not the answer THEY wanted to hear.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 22nd, 2019 at 2:43 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 2:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Twscarp, are you able to see Transmission Fluid Temperature, Current Gear and TCC Slip on a 2008+ van in Torque Pro? If YES, why is it that I cannot? Is there a difference between those $8-10 Amazon/eBay Mini Blue dongles?

Quick Reply: The ELM/Torque thread