Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The ELM/Torque thread

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2019, 1:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
If the Torque GM specific ATF temp gauge doesn't work, then your vehicle doesn't support that. You can add whatever custom PIDs you want. (maybe only pro version?). Engine oil temp is a standard OBD parameter. If the gauge doesn't work then your vehicle probably doesn't support it.
the Torque lite app does not have engine oil temp or trans fluid temp , and I have no idea if a 2005 supports it anyway ,

I can see the plus if you are having problems and need info , but for me the fluid temps are the only interesting ones

Thanks again.....
Old November 16th, 2019, 1:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 602 Posts

Maybe they'll refund your $5 if it the Torque pro doesn't work for you.
Old November 17th, 2019, 11:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VP2019
Thanks again for the information you provided that was helpful.
I now know what I need to know for this application, and since I've expended more than another half-hour on this without further benefit to me, this post will have to conclude my involvement here.
Hi, when you finally decide on a scanner (ELM), please share the Version that it says, not the advertised Version by the seller but when connected to Torque, or by using the ELM327 Identifier App https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ifier&hl=en_US , which will reveal the real Version, thank you.

Click the Adapter Status

Read the Adapter Version

As shown mine is an ELM327 v2.2

Last edited by Twscarp; November 17th, 2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old November 18th, 2019, 5:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would love it if ELM Electronics would tell us which adapters use the latest chip. I believe the earlier versions won't pass the info on the newer vehicles. My '16 has the TPMS info in the DIC, and the standard PIDs (or the custom ones I got from the Torque forum) won't pass to the Torque app.

And you can't trust any of the sellers of these adapters. They either try and confuse you by citing the Bluetooth version, or just out and out lie.
Old November 18th, 2019, 6:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan

And you can't trust any of the sellers of these adapters. They either try and confuse you by citing the Bluetooth version, or just out and out lie.
Most of the sellers believe what they were told by the factory , they are re-sellers.....

But since China has over 1 billion people which generation of a copy are you getting , you can be sure the factory did not spend the $100 for one with a real ELM chip in it.....

But it can be the same junk for a $3 reader or a $20 reader !

Here is a review thats pretty good but will just scare you more ! Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus
Old November 18th, 2019, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default please,

Originally Posted by Teammuir1
Digging back from my thread here is a good piece of info from TWSCARP
he wanted everyone to test what version is working on every ones ELM327's
here is the web page for that to get the app. GREEN means you have it and RED means you dont
No wyfi on my highfi, the rugulator chip is a moc Motorola made in mexico, now where can i buy one in the u.s.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...entifier&hl=en[/QUOTE]
Old November 18th, 2019, 9:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by StanVan
I would love it if ELM Electronics would tell us which adapters use the latest chip.... you can't trust any of the sellers of these adapters.
Quoted from the ELM website FAQ:

I do not want to buy an ELM327 scantool with a clone chip in it. Can you provide a list of customers that use genuine ELM327 chips in their product?

No – sorry. Even if we could share customer information (we do not), we could not guarantee that a particular customer always uses our product. Simply buying some ICs from us is no guarantee that they do not also sell clone products.

If you want to be sure that a particular scan tool uses a genuine ELM327 integrated circuit, ask the vendor or manufacturer if it does, and obtain their assurance that your money will be refunded if you are not completely satisfied.
Old November 19th, 2019, 12:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would have simply used the Palmer "DashLogic" because having that info in the DIC is preferable, but they've verified that their DashLogic does not work on GM vans, and at $280, it's mighty expensive for what it does (although it does that in one of the most highly integrated ways possible).
I considered this for my van. They said it does not work on vans, but did they actually try it on a van, or did they say that out of avoiding liability? Because it was made for GMT900 pick ups, which are 2007.5-2014, and GM van cluster was redesigned in 2008 so it most likely is talking the same language.
What I really wanted to try on my van one day, is to reprogram the IPC (instrument cluster) using a Silverado VIN. They do show transmission temp on the DIC from the factory (using what seems to be the same display and the same stack of 4 vertical buttons), along with other little things such as digital Speedometer and Trailer Brake output. I have the Tech 2 and MDI and it's only going to cost me $40 (plus another $40 to reverse the operation), but I am wondering if that will cause indicator/gauge issues within the cluster.

In summary, the answer looks like this (although this may not be completely and precisely worded to your satisfaction):
1. On a 2008+ GM vehicle, real-time temp data like trans temp is not on on the SW-CAN that fewer scanners (e.g.: OBDLink MX) support. Real-time temp data like trans temp is on the ISO15765-4 (a.k.a.: 11-bit CAN, or CANSF) that any code scanner that works on US vehicles built in the last decade or so should be able to access.
On my 2006 van (pic below), my most necessary TorquePro parameters were Trans temp, Current Gear and TCC Slip. None of which seem to be available on the 2008+. But on the 2008+ I can see oil pressure and outside air temp, which were previously not available. Any solutions known to show this data on new vans, besides carrying a Tech 2/MDI along?

Old November 19th, 2019, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Artie1
Trans temp, Current Gear and TCC Slip. None of which seem to be available on the 2008+.
Torque shows them on my 2013

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 19th, 2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:30 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Torque shows them on my 2013
Well it does not on mine. What are the secret PIDs you have to enter? How do I activate it?

Quick Reply: The ELM/Torque thread