Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The ELM/Torque thread

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2017, 8:23 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STAN..
Sorry bud... that its not working.. you have to keep in mind that
these are generic DIC's and that they come from someone that
has had them working for them...
YES.. I am every were it seems ... if I find something that is
interesting I will register.. I always use Teammuir1
you can now appreciate the frustration I was having a month ago
when I was trying to get my forumulas to work....
I have not had much time to search the web since I have been
working on the van's oil pan gasket issue... in the other thread.
Old December 19th, 2017, 9:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Hey Guys just a little update..... something cool to know.. ( cool factor )
so Yesturday Dan from Tenn. came up him and his wife... visited and picked up
some parts I was able to get for him for his van.
well. we were talking and came up with the idea of connecting my ELM327 and tablet to his Van
just to see if it would work.. and it did with out any hickups. GPS worked as well..
so with out any other programming it went from my van to his. kinda cool to know.
Old December 19th, 2017, 1:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

His is close in age to yours, isn't it?

You might want to go ahead and set up a profile of your van in the settings of Torque. Le Moose has one, and while I haven't gotten around to it, I'll be doing one for Da Wife's Equinox. Having not done this yet, I'm guessing that you can set up a different set of gauges for each profile.

Oh, and I think the GPS is resident in the device (tablet or phone) you use, not the car or ELM. My tablet doesn't have GPS, so it doesn't work, but my phone does.
Old December 19th, 2017, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Ron mentioned, we both were delighted when the probe and his tablet worked in my 2008 3500 van.
We saw tran temps, oh yeah!

i was amazed my van gave out Gps info and without wifi. We are not sure his tablet has Gps, but we are thinking it does not, and that the gps info was coming from my van. It that is the case, how cool is that?

i mentioned that the tiny displays were almost useless to me because my vision is horrible. But I can handle a gauge easy enough,, lol!

A side note, Ron, my tablet is running Dash Command. Probably why I could not get the tran temps like yours does. And or, my silly generic probe does not offer it.

i looked to add a pid, but it's gonna be different if at all...
Old December 19th, 2017, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

I could be wrong, but I don't think even the newer vans have GPS built in unless your van has some sort of navigation unit. And while OnStar has one built in to the cell phone, I don't think it "talks" to the vehicle. There would be no reason for it to do so. I know my '16 doesn't have it.
Old December 20th, 2017, 3:45 PM
CF Pro Member

I really dont know I was under the impression that it was coming from the vehicle.
I dont know how my tablet could be using GPS when I dont pay for my tablet to get online
so if someone can answer that one.. lol
I know back in the day when technology was so new I bought a internet card for my sons laptop
that was from att&t.. I had to pay for that service.. I do not pay for my service on my tablet.. but I do
have WIFI on my tablet.. but thats hard for me to believe that my tablet picked up my WIFI service
all the way down the road... lol
Old December 20th, 2017, 5:14 PM
CF Veteran

GPS isn't an online thing. Your phone has one built in, for 911 location in an emergency. Even the older flip phones that have no internet capability. So, go into the tablets settings. It may be under wireless, or more than likely, location.

On another subject, In poking around the Torque, I stumbled on to a place that tells you what version your ELM is. Both of mine say 1.5. Who knew?
Old December 21st, 2017, 4:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Unless things have changed.... GPS can only be used if you have a service... thats what I meant by online...
a service that connects the device ( like your phone ) to the satellite ....
Service from a phone provider or Online like WiFi
now my tablet very well may have GPS... you can or someone tell me how the GPS can work if its not connected to
a SERVICE.. ( I dont think thats possible ) .
I dont know maybe I am not saying the correct thing here...
Old December 21st, 2017, 7:30 PM
CF Veteran

It has never been like that. GPS is not dependent on any type of service. It is just like a hand held GPS unit, or a dedicated GPS unit for your car. If your tablet doesn't have GPS built in, then location is dependent on some sort of service, but it will only give you the location of the tower the tablet is talking to. Much like your home internet service knows you as the location of the hub your routed through.

As far as the phone goes, long before smartphones, the phone industry came up with the idea of a GPS built in to the phone for emergency 911 situations. The sad part of that is that even today, some police call centers still haven't gotten the equipment to utilize that feature. Also, cell towers have GPS, for use in synchronization of signals as you travel from one cell tower to the next during a conversation. This system also sets the phone's clock, and updates it with every call you receive.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 4:25 AM
CF Pro Member

removeandreplace.com/2014/07/29/how-to-use-a-tablet-for-gps-without-internet-data-connection

Then there is some conflicting information then

Quick Reply: The ELM/Torque thread