Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The ELM/Torque thread

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2019, 2:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

Artie, which van are you talking about? Do you know the model of your transmission? Sorry if you mentioned it already.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 4:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Artie1
Twscarp, are you able to see Transmission Fluid Temperature, Current Gear and TCC Slip on a 2008+ van in Torque Pro? If YES, why is it that I cannot? Is there a difference between those $8-10 Amazon/eBay Mini Blue dongles?
Yes, I see the Trans Fluid Temp, I don't believe the Current Gear and TCC Slip are available, because if they were I wanted them. Maybe over the weekend, I can revisit what is available in my 2008 Express 1500. I have the ELM327 v2.2 dongle, I'm assuming yours and everybody else's is v1.5, but I don't know if it is giving me more access to the PIDs.

Old November 22nd, 2019, 4:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Artie, which van are you talking about? Do you know the model of your transmission? Sorry if you mentioned it already.
Well, the issue is present on both the 4L80 and 6L90, but the key is being 2008+. I am not able to see those parameters on any of them. That is when vans went from Class 2 to GM LAN data bus. I also have a 2006, which does display them all just fine.

Twscarp, 1500 van is probably the reason why you see the trans temp. I only ever owned 2500/3500 models.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 4:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are there other Apps like Torque that do better with GM cars ?

I am also looking for trans and oil temp for my 2005 GMC van ,

Cheers
Old November 22nd, 2019, 6:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackvw
I am also looking for trans and oil temp for my 2005 GMC van ,
Torque Pro will display trans temp. Oil temp is not possible as there's not a sensor for that.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 9:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Artie1
Well, the issue is present on both the 4L80 and 6L90...
I have the 4L60-E and I get ATF temp, current gear, Input/output speed and slip speed, shift times (and probably more). This tranny has been around a while, and is widely used and documented.

The 4L80 is the heavier duty cousin, but from what I'm reading, there are many differences
https://mechanicbase.com/transmissio...e-differences/
"There is a big difference when it comes to the electronics of these transmissions. The Wiring harness and the transmission control unit is completely different and they are not compatible with each other. There are also differences when it comes to the sensors, mainly that the 4L80e do have 2-speed sensors that are different than the sensor on the 4l60e. If you want to swap to one of these transmissions remember to also purchase the control unit and the harness."
The 4L60/80's are a GM design going way back, but the 6L90 is a much more modern transmission. It's based on a German design and the operation is very different. It was introduced in 2005, so you'd think that it would be more computerized. It's possible that there is plenty of sensor data is available, but the PIDs will be different.

Did you go into the Torque settings and enable the GM enhanced parameters? There are two gauges available for ATF temp so you may have to try both. I doubt that your dongle is the issue. Because transmission stuff is not standardized in OBD, and proprietary, information could be hard to find. It's access to this information that you're paying for when you buy the $200+ tools.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 9:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Trackvw
I am also looking for trans and oil temp for my 2005 GMC van
I don't think you'll find engine oil temp. It'll follow coolant temp pretty closely though.

No idea what you have, but I was able to read to read ATF temp on my 2000 Astro which had a 4L60-E.
Old November 23rd, 2019, 9:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I don't think you'll find engine oil temp. It'll follow coolant temp pretty closely though.

No idea what you have, but I was able to read to read ATF temp on my 2000 Astro which had a 4L60-E.
the Express has the larger 4L80 , but good to know about the Astro as I have one of those too !

Thanks
Old November 25th, 2019, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please share PID for below
1. Vent valve status
2. Purge valve status
3. Fuel tank pressure
Old November 25th, 2019, 7:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You might find them here;