Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Fuelling problem

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2022, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply, i actually ordered a code reader and should be able to check it tomorrow. I did notice a metal tab in the filler neck where the nozzle would go, it looks like it is right where the vent pipe is attached to the fill tube. It bends when you push in it but goes back to the same position. Maybe something is stuck?
Old February 9th, 2022, 8:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the line on the fill hose is not for venting the tank. Its purpose is vapour recovery while fueling. fuel flowing by the lower end of the hose creates a vacuum that pulls in fumes at the gas nozzle. without this vacuum these fumes would escape to atmosphere.

make sure the cannister vent filter is clear also. the vent path is...from the tank to the cannister to the vent solenoid to the vent filter...all must be clear. temporarily remove the hose end to the cannister from the tank. try a refill....is no change the problem is elsewhere. if it fill normally, the problem is somewhere along that path.
The following users liked this post:
jjrbus (February 9th, 2022)
Old February 9th, 2022, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you, good to know . I did blow through the canister freely yesterday and there was no sign of charcoal anywhere.
Old February 12th, 2022, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

After inspecting the fill tube to the tank I noticed there is a connection of some sort half way down the filler hose. I think it may be a check valve , and if so maybe it is stuck closed . I will take it apart today .
Old February 12th, 2022, 9:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I can do this, I can save money, it will be fun they said LOL. Take lots of pictures of every detail as you disassemble. I am pulling the Onan out of my Roadtrek, they put the gen in and then build the RV around it. 2 hours labor to uninstall and 2 hours labor to reinstall @ $100 hour.
Old February 12th, 2022, 1:59 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the world of automotive engineering....no thought for the person who works on it.
The following users liked this post:
jjrbus (February 12th, 2022)
Old February 12th, 2022, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Has any of you heard of the fuel inlet hose to the tank fill having a splash back or check valve in it? I’m going to have to wait till tomorrow to check this joint in my fill hose acct I’m on south padre island in a storm fight now.
Old February 13th, 2022, 6:36 AM
Super Moderator

i have seen vehicles with a check ball in the filler neck....can't remember which models. if you can put a siphon hose into the tank...it does not have one.
Old February 13th, 2022, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Took the filler tube and hoses apart, the joint in the rubber hose ended up just being a reducer for difference in hose size. When I pulled the hose off the end of the metal fill tube I found a one way flap valve , it seemed to be sticky so I removed the flap. Blew through hose to tank was clear.

Old February 27th, 2022, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Well I finally fixed my issue. Ended up replacing the filler tube flap that I had taken out. Also replaced the purge solenoid valve. The vent solenoid valve I had purchased was defective so I put the old one back on because the engine was struggling with the new one. Went for a drive , everything was running good. So I went to the pump and easily put in 75 dollars with no issue. I guess the only thing I really did change was the purge solenoid valve on the engine . Hope this may help anyone having a problem like this. Thank you for all of your helpful replies.
The following 2 users liked this post by 37flatback:
jjrbus (February 27th, 2022), MitchM (October 16th, 2022)