Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2015, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your lucky its just the hood. It needs to be stripped, primed and painted.....$$$

Sorry....but yours is another in a long lone line of white vans...
Old April 1st, 2015, 12:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aroque
I would like to look into a class action lawsuit with a local law firm. Would anyone else be interested in joining if I find out it is possible?
I would be willing to join in a class action law suit. Mine is a 2008 Chevy 1500 Express, only 48,000 miles.
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My 2011 Started in the same place

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...ing-off-69815/
Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

I've read here. as best I understand it...

Apparently, the problem starts after 3-4 years.

the cause is that stone blows?

affiliated moisture infiltrating the clear coat and it flakes off?

If I stick a car wrapping film on it previously would it help?

because my 2014 is white , but i like black cars.

and a film is cheaper than new paint.

Last edited by lonewolves; April 3rd, 2015 at 1:00 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 7:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Default 2010 Chevy Express 3500 Paint issue

I personally do not believe it has anything to do with stone chips. In addition to my hood area it delaminated on the top area of the door. Also on the side panels at the rain gutter joint....also the roof at the rain gutter joint. In my case it all started when there was real cold nights and days that quickly warmed up. Perhaps the paint looses flexibility as it ages and during metal expansion and contraction breaks the surface paint away from the primer? I am vigilant touching up stone chips and nicks. The paint all of a sudden started blowing off in pieces the size of playing cards. Adding a wrap I would think would give GM the excuse to say the wrap voids the warranty.

Last edited by goyakpacking; April 3rd, 2015 at 7:44 PM.
Old April 4th, 2015, 1:20 AM
CF Beginner

a general problem of adhesion between the paint layers, okay.

Thank you...

Originally Posted by goyakpacking
Adding a wrap I would think would give GM the excuse to say the wrap voids the warranty.
This will be so. but I have unfortunately no guarantee against GM.

the express not officially sold in Germany (Europe).

for warranty I must bring back to the United States ... no opportunity ;-((

but I wanted an express.

than all the other U.S. manufacturers sell only modded euro "vans" (ford-transit and dodge-sprinter/ducato)... and now i´ve only "real" chevys @ home.

that's why I have my van caught on my own responsibility.

but that's a lot of money. with transport, customs , tax , retrofits for approval and so on...

the sheets are galvanized? When you get it?

I found some rust on rear. under the halotrim. at the end of rain gutter.

and at the bottom the rear door.

When the weather is warmer it gets much protection wax.

Last edited by lonewolves; April 4th, 2015 at 1:30 AM.
Old April 4th, 2015, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shojo510
Hey All! Owner of a 2007 Express Cargo and I had a good size piece of paint peel off of my hood last December!

Now I just have a big primer/e-coat spot on my front -

Dealers giving me the "Gravel has chipped your paint and caused your paint to peel"

I've seen gravel chip the paint but it doesn't cause de-lamination ? Paint and primer should be bonded and like one! at least to my non professional view point...

I see a bunch of vans driving around with the same kind of issue...

Also read up on the paint problems from before(90's) with the automotive safety board...link

Anybody else have this going on???

pics?

frustrating...
I have two doing the exact same thing. There is also a spot above rear doors on both doing the same thing. I figured there was a problem when both were doing it. I sent one of my employees to the dealer and they said just get some spray paint. I am not buying it. They will be hearing from me. Any advice?
Old April 4th, 2015, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MsOutgoing
I would be willing to join in a class action law suit. Mine is a 2008 Chevy 1500 Express, only 48,000 miles.
I would
Old April 6th, 2015, 1:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Jdunn - Before you do anything yourself I would go to GMs 800 number and get a claim number to peruse your complaint. If it goes the course mine did, they (the 800# people) will arrange with a dealer for you to come in. Once the dealer is on board the dealer will call you and set up an appointment to inspect the paint. Regardless of the outcome of that I would insist on a written copy of their findings. Mine was on a normal service form the service department issues for any other type of work. Showing your VIN and what they are telling you. At least you will have it in writing if they tell you tough luck. You can fix or cover on your own if they aren't going to help you. Or at that point get independent opinions and estimates and pursue it legally. I was prepared to start in small claims court and go to Date Line for another story. There was a previous class action lawsuit and a thing that Date Line did. I am mad too even though they eventually took care of mine at no charge. I like the vehicle and had intentions of purchasing another until the initial treatment I received, just like you. The dealer (when I approached them on my own) blamed it on rock chips. I was ready when I went to the 800#. I had many photos of a fleet of vans for a local utility that nearly all of them are peeling in the same places. Sit in Home Depot if you need to and get pictures and VIN numbers. They are all over the place. I am beginning to think the dealers may have been coached to give this rock chip answer to discourage the normal complainer into just going away. I even had one service guy tell me GM wasn't responsible because they went through bankruptcy/reorganization.....so much BS out there.. None of this came without much time being expended and calling the CEO/owner over 3 large local dealerships. The whole thing totally sucked from a customer service point of view. They should have bent over backwards to make things right. I saw the local dealer bill (that I assume goes back to GM Corporate) on my repair, that included a rental for me for 10 days, at their expense. The total for everything was around $2600. Mine was a 2010 with around 70K miles. The standard corrosion warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles. From what I read in the previous lawsuit some were fixed older than that but some paid a percentage of the cost too.

Last edited by goyakpacking; April 6th, 2015 at 1:43 PM.
Old April 6th, 2015, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

GMs 800#???

Quick Reply: Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo