Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2015, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

800-222-1020
They also want to charge for the dealer to look at the problem. $85-100. I am going to take one of my three vans in to see what they say. Thanks for the advice.
Old April 6th, 2015, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some photos... peeling is getting progressively worse over time.

Photo 1: 02-21-2011 - rear door bubbled and peeled after 1 month rain
Photo 2: 02-29-2012 - rear door repainted $800 - body shop said top is starting to peel.
Photo 3: 04-06-2015 - top around van and doors peeling.
Photo 4: 04-06-2015 - top around van and doors peeling.
Photo 5: 04-06-2015 - top around van and doors peeling.

Attached Thumbnails Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevrolet-express_2011-0221_rear-door.jpg   Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevrolet-express_2012-0229_driver-side-photo.jpg   Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevrolet-express_2015-0406_driver-side-1.jpg   Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevrolet-express_2015-0406_driver-side-2.jpg   Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevrolet-express_2015-0406_driver-side-3.jpg  

Old April 6th, 2015, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

More photos... only 25,000 miles on this van.

Photo 1: 02-21-2011 - top around van and doors peeling.
Photo 2: 02-29-2012 - rain gutters and top peeling, rust forming
Photo 3: 04-06-2015 - top around van peeling and doors bubbling.
Photo 4: 04-06-2015 - top around van peeling and doors bubbling.
Photo 5: 04-06-2015 - rain gutters peeling, rust forming
Attached Thumbnails Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevrolet-express_2015-0406_driver-side-4.jpg   Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevrolet-express_2015-0406_driver-side-top.jpg   Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevrolet-express_2015-0406_passenger-side-1.jpg   Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevrolet-express_2015-0406_passenger-side-2.jpg   Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevrolet-express_2015-0406_passenger-side-top.jpg  

Old April 6th, 2015, 10:12 PM
CF Junior Member

I see this on almost every white late model Chevy/GMC van. Lots of big companies around here use them (Comcast, Verizon, etc.) and they ALL have it. I can look in my rear view mirror, see the peeling paint, and know it's a Chevy van. LOL!
Old April 7th, 2015, 12:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm gonna go ahead and call that a f-ing outrage. At 25000 miles is it not under warranty? I would be going ballistic if I bought that new and it did that. It needs to be stripped re primed and re painted......over 10 grand worth of work.....
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I'm gonna go ahead and call that a f-ing outrage. At 25000 miles is it not under warranty? I would be going ballistic if I bought that new and it did that. It needs to be stripped re primed and re painted......over 10 grand worth of work.....
Yeah this makes me angry.. I took it to the dealer and showed them several years ago. They snapped pictures but then never got back to me. Since then this thing is peeling like a ****. At least I got it documented.

I didn't realize the top was rusting.. need to get the work done soon.

This will cost over ten grand. The passenger side rear door alone was $800.

The only way to remedy is a complete chemical strip and follow up with blasting with baking soda. Then a quick primer before moisture hits it and gets flash rust. Needs to be done in the spring or summer months.

I'm going to try to get Chevrolet to pay at least part of the cost.. either through their dispute resolution process or small claims court.

Ironic.. I was at AAA today and saw a white Buick with half the deck lid, top, and fenders peeling.. just like my van. So you can't tell me this is isolated to vans.. I think the entire GM product line has quality issues with this white paint.

Old April 8th, 2015, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Check out this Buick... anyone know what year this GM product is?

I'm going to start to take photos of GM cars, vans and trucks when I see this and make a case against GM..

This is absurd.

Attached Thumbnails Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-image.jpg  
Old May 9th, 2015, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

From a life-long Chevy guy "I'm done with Gov. Motors!"
I just dumped the last of my 3500 Express Vans in my fleet for what ever I could get for it... White paint flaking off every surface... I heard it was due to some kind of tree-hugger eco-friendly primer some genius at GM came up with... Well GM, I'm now buying Ford cargo vans for my biz...
The bail outs, ignition switches killing people, hiding behind a BS bankruptcy???
Chevy and GM SUCK!!!!!!
Gone to Ford...
Nice work Obama and libtards!!!
Old May 9th, 2015, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

All brands have their issues. Honda cars used to be excellent, the newer models are mediocre quality at best. They've chincified all their products and are riding on their good reputation. Toyota isn't much better, in the past I've owned some awesome Toyotas, but now I'm not so sure about their quality. Then there's Ford. I remember when the first Ford Tarus came out in the late 80's. They were great cars, people loved them. Then Ford started to chincify it. During the 90's they were plagued with transmission problems. Grandpas who never drove their Tarus over 60mph were dropping transmissions at about 50-60k miles. Year after year the issue persisted. Ford d--- well knew about the problem and did nothing to fix it for several years. In all fairness, Ford and GM have had their hits and misses, I'm sure everybody has had both good and bad experiences with any brand of car. When I was shopping for a nice luxury / sports sedan, I looked at a lot of different brands. I was very unimpressed with both Toyota and Honda. The Lexis (fancy Toyota) was very tempting, but also very expensive. The Acura (fancy Honda) didn't really appeal to me. Their performance and over all value weren't very impressive, plus the body styling doesn't appeal to my taste. I didn't care for the way the Nissan Maxima drove and I didn't bother looking at Crysler, although the new Crysler 200 is good looking in my opinion. It came down to either a nearly new Cadillac or Buick. I chose the Buick because, in my opinion, it was the best value and was more practical than the Cadillac. I really like the styling on the new Buicks and I was pleasantly surprised by the performance from GM's 3.6 liter V6. At 303 horsepower it has plenty of zip for me. I've had my Buick for about 2 years now and I still love it. A buddy of mine at work has had a lot of Ford Power Stroke Diesels over the years. He had an old one (I don't recall what year) that he loved. The next Power Stroke he bought has been plagued with injector and turbo issues. He's trying to get rid of it. He recently bought another Power Stroke that I believe had the previous generation Power Stroke in it and he's been happy with it. At work I have a 2008 Express 2500 with a 6.0 liter engine and it's white. I was assigned the van when it was new and there's about 60k on it now. To date I haven't had any issues with it's white paint job, but that's just until now. Previous to getting my '08 Express I was assigned an old '89 Chevy Silverado that had 100k+ miles on it. The paint was coming off in big patches. It was worse when it rained because the pieces would come off the hood and stick to the windshield while driving down the freeway. One day I caught the left mirror glass falling out while I was driving out of the corner of my eye. I didn't bother stopping. The replacement glass was cheap enough that it wasn't a big deal to replace. It had a 327 ci small block V8. It was a bullet proof motor. It towed some ridiculous loads and even though you weren't getting there in a hurry, it'd still get you there. There's pros and cons. I'll bet the guy who goes to the Ford vans will have issues that **** him off too. In spite of the imperfections (those exist in ALL car brands) I happen to really like the Chevys. Especially their vans.
Old May 28th, 2015, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Paint peeling over the hood

The paint is peeling off in sheets. This is a manufacturer defect. they added the paint when the primer was still wet or something. All over Pensacola fl these can be seen. Only GMC cargo vans. looks like crap. Our fleet contract will only buy Fords from now on if GMC does nothing. Our company vehicles look like crap

Quick Reply: Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo