Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Outside temp display?

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2021, 11:29 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default compass and airtemp

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I tried adding the compass module. I even used actual GM wire pulled from another van, installed with the proper wire colours, with the proper wire pins, just as if my truck came from the factory with the compass. As part of the sales contract, the dealership had to enable the compass feature for me.

They spent all day trying to re-flash the computer so the module would work. It turns out that this is in GM Headquarter's control and not theirs. After much frustration, they determined that I could have the compass display if they flashed the truck to be a different model. I was to lose an option, I forget which.

Something was to be different than it is now and I just decided forget it. It's just too much. I have always kicked myself for that decision, I think I should have said go ahead. If I lost Onstar, which I think was to be the case, who cares? I want the module gone anyways.

my truck is an 08 express, i looked behind the grille and found no plug..when i researched the compass it plugs into the roof harness(which i believe is there from factory).i dont know how hard it would be to incorporate the outside air sensor in a truck that didnt come with it...still searching.what did you have to add to your truck and how hard was it?
Old August 1st, 2021, 2:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

Old February 20th, 2022, 7:16 PM
CF Active Member

what wires?was this for a rearview mirror installation or the instrument cluster dic reading?
Old March 10th, 2022, 1:57 PM
CF Active Member

Default compass wire

I bet you that this is a Computer Program Issue. I have the Temperature, but no Compass in my DIC. I bought a compass module and the actual factory wire to run, just as the factory did, plugging it all together. If I recall right, half of my wiring was already there, I just had to add one or two wires to a harness. Completing that, I took the truck to the dealership to have the compass enabled. They spent all day on it. It had nothing to do with them, nothing to do with what I had done, it all had to do with GM Head Quarters not allowing them to re-flash the computer. They would not do it. I could have had the compass if I would have accepted having the computer flashed with software written for trucks meant to be sold and driven in the United States. However it changed something for my Canadian model. I would have gained the Compass and lost some other function, I forget what it was. Seems to me that it had to something to do with the Driving Lights. I probably should have done it because it appears you all have driving lights anyways. Maybe it was some other option I was to lose out on if I had it re-flashed that way. I forget.

I bet you that it will be the same thing with your Temperature Display. You will have to go to the dealership and have the truck flashed to a different build.
what wire harness did you buy?where did it pug in?
Old April 9th, 2022, 3:38 PM
CF Active Member

Default easier way

Do you know what I think? Follow the advice that I was too ignorant to accept when I wanted the compass. Just buy a rear view mirror with the temperature display and wire it to a thermostat.

so i went to the bone yard and got a mirror from a wrecked silverado......the reason chevy put it in the instrument cluster for the express vans rather then the mirror is because alot of cargo vans dont have rear windows or alot of contractors cover the rear window,however this requires alot more work to wire it up and maybye have to go to the dealer and have the truck reprogrammed.the silverado mirror was much more easier to get going.(sensor wires,power and ground).......done!!!!