Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

PCV valve location

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2022, 11:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Please take an idle in park reading. No accelerator pedal applied
I will check that with my tech2 and post ist later on
Old December 20th, 2022, 12:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Please take an idle in park reading. No accelerator pedal applied
This is the reading right after I fire up the engine

Right after start

Right after start

And this is the freeze frame for P0101. But no MIL!

Old December 20th, 2022, 2:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Engines idle fast after you just start them up. Let it warm up and enter closed loop fuel metering first
Old December 21st, 2022, 1:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Here are the open loop readings at idle

Old December 21st, 2022, 8:32 AM
Super Moderator

You see how air flow is above what the computer "desires"
The idle air control position is also not what the computer wants.

Try cleaning out or replacing the IAC actuator.
Old December 21st, 2022, 11:35 AM
CF Junior Member

You see how air flow is above what the computer "desires"
The idle air control position is also not what the computer wants.

Try cleaning out or replacing the IAC actuator.
Thx, good information.
Just for my understanding: MAF sensor and IAC airflow need to be the same?
I guess you mean the TPS sensor? The IAC is a module which you can't clean, just replace

Last edited by fuschnicker; December 21st, 2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old December 21st, 2022, 8:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fuschnicker
Just for my understanding: MAF sensor and IAC airflow need to be the same?
No, definitely not.
OK, engine basics ...

MAF = Mass Air Flow
This is a sensor (heated resistive type) which measures and provides to the computer the total quantity of air coming into the engine. In your screenshots, it is being measured as grams (metric mass units) per second.
As a rough rule-of-thumb, the MAF metric value should end up being close to the digits of your engine displacement. You have a 6.0L engine. The idle MAF should read close to , and at least 6.0 grams per second.

IAC = Idle Air Control.
This is an aperture that the computer controls. There is a small air passage (bypassing the throttle plate) that lets just enough air into the engine for it to run while you're not on the accelerator pedal, and the computer is able to very precisely control the size of the opening (pintle valve) in this air passage (and also read back its position it seems). The computer monitors the engine speed (RPM) and adjusts the opening to get an appropriate engine speed ( which depends on things like engine temperature, oxygen sensor temperature, A/C status, electrical load, etc.). The units, in this case it looks like they're being called "counts", are arbitrary. The absolutely value doesn't really matter. The computer has no concept of what the numbers means. It simply adjusts up or down until it achieves the outcome (RPM) it is programmed for. Essentially trial and error.

You don't need to pay attention to the IAC value. What matters is the engine RPM at idle. (this is engine dependant. Mine likes around 700 RPM. Yours (a larger engine with more torque) is happy around 600 RPM. Tiny Japanese 4 cylinder engines need to run much faster to be feel smooth.

You can see from your data output the computer wants 550 RPM (RPM = engine revolutions per second), but it isn't getting it. It's close but a little high (570 RPM. too much).
It wants a smaller IAC position (32 count) but it is getting 37. (too much)
It's only hungry for 6.13 grams/second of air, but it's gulping down 7.03 g/s. (too much)
Long term fuel trim is positive 3% ... there's too much air in the mixture, and the computer is trying to add more fuel to compensate.
So you can see a trend here.

I guess you mean the TPS sensor?
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor
Since you're idling, and not stepping on the accelerator, the throttle position is 0%. In other words: completely shut. Exactly what it should be.

The IAC is a module which you can't clean, just replace
The IAC constantly has air going through. It also has engine vapors going through it which have been recycled via the PCV system. The vapors are filthy. Full of exhaust, soot and combustion blow-by, raw fuel, moisture, vaporized oil, and other garbage evaporating from inside the crankcase. This (mostly carbon) can build up on the IAC valve and the results is unexpected operation and air flow. Also, like any moving part, the valve just wears out.

Yes, it can be cleaned. I've done it many times. Remove the throttle body and valve from the vehicle, get a can for brake cleaner, a tiny scraping tool, an old toothbrush, and other bristly implements, and go to town cleaning the valve and all the passages. If that doesn't help then just replace IAC valve which are not expensive.(you still need to clean the passages. Throttle bodies are very expensive.)

These vapors also settle in the throttle body and on the MAF sensor. This also confuses the computer, and reduces engine performance. It's a good idea to clean the throttle body, MAF sensor (research first) , and IAC all at the same time.

After cleaning or replacement, the computer will need a little time to readjust to it's new operating conditions. Looks like you have a Tech2 tool. You can trigger the relearn function yourself and speed up the process a bit.

Did that make any sense? Hopefully it aids in your troubleshooting.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; December 21st, 2022 at 8:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mountainmanjoe:
fuschnicker (December 22nd, 2022), john2000 (December 22nd, 2022), Roslyn (March 20th, 2023)
Old December 22nd, 2022, 1:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Thx Joe! Great explanation
That helps me a lot and gives me a better understanding about whats going on
I will send an update if I have checked and cleaned all the part!