Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

second horn

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2020, 8:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default second horn

i have a 2008 chevy express cargo van.it only came with one horn.the options list says that dual horns was an option.does anyone know where the second connector is?and is my horn the low note or high note(dont wanna buy a low note if i already have that one)
Old September 29th, 2020, 8:02 AM
CF Active Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had this issue as well. I opted to install dual horns and just install a relay and new wiring, using the factory single horn wire as the relay trigger.

I used Fiamm 72112 (low note) and 72102 (high note). These are the Freeway Blaster series and currently the loudest non-air horn available. I also mounted them directly behind the grill instead of in the engine compartment for maximum volume.
Old September 29th, 2020, 9:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for reply,im looking to just hook it up the way the factory did,unfortunately gm discontinued the correct wiring hrness and only offers the pigtail.however that still leaves many questions...does anyone have a picture of dual factory horn setup?
Old September 29th, 2020, 2:17 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward Andriaccio
thanks for reply,im looking to just hook it up the way the factory did,unfortunately gm discontinued the correct wiring hrness and only offers the pigtail.however that still leaves many questions...does anyone have a picture of dual factory horn setup?
I'd just pig tail from the existing horn to the new one. GM did that years ago, you shouldn't need another horn relay.
Old September 29th, 2020, 9:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Don't use a horn just to get some air out when you are mad. They can confuse people and might cause an accident. In Deer country, you CAN use the horn, but high-low headlights will not scare deer. Trust me as I have driven in deer country often.in a rig. Air horns get them moving.
Old September 30th, 2020, 7:36 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I'd just pig tail from the existing horn to the new one. GM did that years ago, you shouldn't need another horn relay.
You need to find the amperage draw of each horn and then check to make sure the current fuse will support two of them. It may not support it on dual horns. I had to run new wiring and a relay because by adding a second horn, I exceeded the amp rating of the factory horn circuit. Unless you know the wire gauge of the entire horn circuit and verify that all of it will support a higher amp load, you can’t just replace the fuse with a bigger one.
Old September 30th, 2020, 2:58 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just bolted old Cadillac horn below radiator and spliced into stock horn wire and slipped in a 20 amp fuse
Old September 30th, 2020, 8:12 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by ray caldwell
Just bolted old Cadillac horn below radiator and spliced into stock horn wire and slipped in a 20 amp fuse
That’s not the proper way to do electrical. The fuse protects the wire from overheating. If you increase the fuse size to 20amp, you need to verify that the existing wiring can handle 20 amps. If the wire is only rated for 10 amps, you’re sending more amperage through it by increasing the fuse size. This could lead to melted/burned wire, a short, or a fire.
Old October 1st, 2020, 4:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VanKo
That’s not the proper way to do electrical. The fuse protects the wire from overheating. If you increase the fuse size to 20amp, you need to verify that the existing wiring can handle 20 amps. If the wire is only rated for 10 amps, you’re sending more amperage through it by increasing the fuse size. This could lead to melted/burned wire, a short, or a fire.
Yeah,I'm pretty sure the wiring was about the same gauge as the cigarette lighter so figure I'm good as I used it a whole 5 seconds last year. High amperage wires I give marine standards. Reckless life I reckon
Old October 20th, 2020, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Same complaint

i have a 2008 chevy express cargo van.it only came with one horn.the options list says that dual horns was an option.does anyone know where the second connector is?and is my horn the low note or high note(dont wanna buy a low note if i already have that one)
Edward, I have the same complaint...wimpy horn. I took the lone horn out of my '04 Express 2500 and discovered that it is a low note horn made by Klaxon. I would think that the factory horn is AC Delco? The wiring harness appears to be factory unmodified.

Quick Reply: second horn