Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Well that's weird. Water leak problem

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2021, 6:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Well that's weird. Water leak problem

So the fix for this is probably more weatherstrip or some adjustment but here's what's going on.

Somebody put a load of caulk in the drip rail of the 94 over the top of the door where there's a small gap. The water instead of dripping over, is collecting, flowing right over the top of the drip rail, back around under it, into the door opening, and it collects in the stepwell. I opened it once before and it was wet in there and I couldn't figure out why; today it was rainy out and I opened the door and water literally fell out, it might have been an inch deep.

So now I need to figure out how to divert that water, because all the water that lands on the roof will flow to the drip rails and a lot of it then flows forward and right over the edge here.

Seems like from the other ones the gap lets it drip down instead and you might get wet from it getting inside during rain but better that than a puddle in the footwell.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 599 Posts

can you post a photo of what you mean
Old May 4th, 2021, 3:33 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I mean it's the same drip rail as any 95-back van, but there's a lump of sealer in it straight up from the vent post that has a slope down to the base of the channel.

So the water flows up and over the edge and instead of dripping off, which I vaguely remember from my past G-vans, it flows around under into the door opening, then collects at the bottom of the door in the footwell.

By the looks of the cracks in the sealer stuff there's a little gap there GM put to control the water so it will drip off in that spot.

Given all the time this spent garaged I wouldn't be shocked if nobody noticed it before this, I wouldn't have known if I hadn't seen it myself in the rain the other day.

Probably the cure is to dig the stuff out of there so it can't flow over the edge that way.