Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

What did you do with your van today?

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2019, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brakes are done. Turns out there's this little metal tab riveted to the edge of the aftermarket pad to accommodate other caliper designs. That tab basically served as an early warning device/rotor scratcher. Seriously loud.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 7:48 PM
CF Active Member

Pre-heater hose, air filter and re-replaced PCV hose. The aftermarket fittings dried out and cracked. Trying a basic 3/8" foot long piece of vacuum hose. Next up is oil change, gonna follow the chart previously posted and go with FRAM this round.
Old October 31st, 2019, 5:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
So now that my tires are rotated, the pressures listed in my DIC don't match the actual tires. Mr. Berladyn and I spent a few hours trying to "relearn" the pressure sensors and had no luck.

The computer simply refused to acknowledge that we had let out some air, and would not move on to the next tire. We tried about a half dozen times. Has anybody else had success with this?
So I shelled out the $6 or so for a tool. It's a knock-off of the GM EL-50448 TPMS relearn tool. It was low risk so I ordered it.

It's a bit finicky, and constantly flashes "low battery" but it works! I got the pressures in my DIC showing for the correct wheels.

Old November 13th, 2019, 2:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today was mostly cussin' after some weekend work. Pulled the driveshaft to replace u-joints and center bearing.
Fightin' rust since then, with little success. The u-joint retainer clips are stuck. About ready to hit the junk yard for a 'new' shaft. Only thing stopping me, besides $$$, is shaft balance. Ugh.

Wonder how bad the center bearing will be.
Old November 21st, 2019, 11:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Dove into PreviousOwner (PO) item #3, change spark plugs. It wasn't fun given the spacing, but I've done worse. Nice not having to remember which cable does to which plug.

After reviewing the old plugs, I'm amazed the engine ran at all! Dare I Seafoam??

Old November 25th, 2019, 11:35 AM
CF Junior Member

PO item #6 covered; drained, cleaned and filled the differential identified by mountainmanjoe as a Dana 60 9.75.
Fun part I'm not willing to chase yet, the bottom lip of the diff cover had a small hole rusted through. Crossing fingers it won't leak through the winter, prefer to replace when it's warm again and I remove the axles to install parking brake shoes.

PO item #5 done; replaced rear rotors, pads and one brake bracket. Prior pads were 7mm except for one inside pad at 4mm! Problem noted, the bracket had a seized caliper pin and it would NOT move. Can tell calipers need rebuilt, another push to the spring days. Oh, did I mention the nasty, rusty, slivers of metal that used to be parking brake shoes that I removed? I'd rather not remember those. Damn PO!
Old December 17th, 2019, 12:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I put GAS in it.
Old December 17th, 2019, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

Gas has been cheaper here lately. Rumor is that electric vehicles are causing demand to go down.

* rubs hands together * Finally!
Old December 17th, 2019, 9:39 PM
CF Active Member

Found out the electrical inlet plug on the rear rotted out when I went to use it last weekend. Replaced with a shiny new one today. Win for the RV supply store.
Old December 21st, 2019, 8:40 AM
CF Junior Member

New tires and "new" rims installed on the rear. Got lucky on the Facepuke, found an unused set of 16" with covers and lug nuts for $100! Bye bye nasties!

Quick Reply: What did you do with your van today?