Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

03 impala 40,000mile misfire problem(replace plugs n wires n checked coil)

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2011, 9:29 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the cylinder was washed out by fuel it could have 0 compression. Did the guy add some oil to the cylinder and re check? If the car sat for a year it is possible that caused rust in the cylinder or on the valve causing the problem. Did the guy do a cylinder leak down test to pinpoint why it has no compression? It could be a rocker arm orpush rod problem. It would be extremly odd for that engine to be shot. You may want to take it to someone else for further diag.
Old November 26th, 2011, 1:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was the local shop I use for normal issues like check engine light n inspection. Plus the owner is a friend of the family. They usually tell me whats wrong and i fix whatever it is. I'm going to take it to a Chevy dealer and have it investigated further. I'm hoping the problem is fixable. Should I be ok driving it to the shop about 5 miles away or should I have it towed?
Old November 30th, 2011, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

It was the rocker arm.....was laying on its side. Complete nonsense for a 40k car
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default I need help to solve this mystery.

Okay guys, I have cylinder 6 misfire. sometimes i go 2-4 days without the light coming on. Everytime it does, I take it to autozone to get the codes and it says the same thing cylinder 6 misfire. most of the time it runs fine but when i does misfire i'm usually stopped and fixing to give it gas. I got my mechanic put new plug wires and new ac delo plugs in it and a new ignition coil on it( well actually two cuz the first one i bought had a crack in it). I've had my mechanic check my air pressure, and for vaccum leaks. I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS...cuz it doesn't do it all the time. any ideas...

Btw I drive a 99 Chevy Mailbu 6 cylinder
Old December 13th, 2011, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem with my impala misfire on #3 changed the coil 2 times and still would misfire in short amount of time . I changed the control module located under the coils problem solved . I went the cheap route and bought a used one from salvage yard .I think it was about 50.00 and it came with the coils also . Mine is a 3.8 engine I am not sure your set up is the same now that I think about it .