Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

03 suburban 1500 2WD drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2020, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 suburban 1500 2WD drive shaft

So I am needing to know if when I put the drive shaft back in my suburban, is there any certain way that it needs to line up? My U joint went out on the back end of it and dropped it to the ground. So nothing was marked on were it was at. Got the u joint in but can't find any information on if there is a certain way that it has to be put back in.
Old June 18th, 2020, 3:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

No it doesn't matter, but if the shaft dropped while driving there is a chance that may have bent a bit. If you have a vibration that you didn't have before it dropped you may want to have it checked out at a drive shaft shop.
Old June 19th, 2020, 4:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Bear
No it doesn't matter, but if the shaft dropped while driving there is a chance that may have bent a bit. If you have a vibration that you didn't have before it dropped you may want to have it checked out at a drive shaft shop.
I've seen new vehicles with out of balanced driveshafts. Yeah, get that DL into a shop!
Old June 19th, 2020, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Drive shaft

Originally Posted by MrAxtell69
So I am needing to know if when I put the drive shaft back in my suburban, is there any certain way that it needs to line up? My U joint went out on the back end of it and dropped it to the ground. So nothing was marked on were it was at. Got the u joint in but can't find any information on if there is a certain way that it has to be put back in.
If I recall correctly, the driveshaft can be reinstalled so long as you line up the rear yoke and the the u-joint. I need to say that I am not a professional in any way. I am just a guy who is mechanically inclined. The Best suggestion that I can give overall is to pickup a Haynes manual (or any of the other types of self help books on your vehicle) from your local parts store or on-line and it will tell you for sure.

Drag