Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

08 Impala LT, Sloppy feeling tires

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2020, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Impala LT, Sloppy feeling tires

I was hoping some of you could help shed some light on an issue I am having with one of our vehicles.

Since this whole pandemic thing has taken off an ground everything to a halt, my wife is stuck at home and I have been driving her car in to work instead of my truck to save a few dollars in gas.
A couple of weeks ago I changed out the winters and put on the "most season" tires she has for it. They are Westlake Zuper Ace sa57's P225/55R17. Torqued and re-torqued, and cold filled to Chevrolet's recommendations.
These are relatively new tires, this will be the 3rd season on them and these things are horrible. Max pressure is 51Psi, but running them at the recommended 30psi feels like driving with 2 flats on the front end.
Steering is soft and sloppy, and they grab and pull at the smallest imperfections in the road. Turning feels like turning on a flat, and even the power steering is stiffer, like trying to turn the wheels of a car with a flat.
I haven't done much driving on these tires until recently, usually when I drive the car the winters are on and my wife feels safer when I drive in bad weather. The Generals that go on for the winter months do not behave like this at all.
I have always know they were kind of sloppy, but I usually only took infrequent short trips, now that I have been driving it daily for several weeks I have noticed how bad these tires are, driving these literally feels like driving on a very low tire, where the imperfections in the road just want to grab you and yank you to one side.

Looking at them this evening they even appeared low on the front, and pushing the car sideways at the fender it reminded me of jello or something, sidewalls just jiggles. There are no bulges or cracks on the sidewalls or treads, tire look good as new besides the dirt. checked the pressure on all of the tires and still holding at 30psi. I put an extra 5lbs in the fronts and will see how it handles on tomorrows commute, and already just sitting there it look better. I left the rears at 30lbs as they appear to have a proper tread contact with the ground.

Does anyone know anything about these tires? Are they just crap? I have never heard of Westlake before my wife came home from the quick lube shop with them installed, they have the crappiest tread pattern i have ever seen on them. I usually run general's on my vehicles, got AT2's on the Silverado, its 2Wd and i run them all year with no problems at all. Winters on her car are general's and they are great. Has anyone had any experience with these tires? Is there a sweet spot for pressure to make these things not feel like driving a car with flat down a back-road with freshly laid gravel?

for obvious reasons a new set of tires just isn't in the budget right now.

Thoughts and Tips are much appreciated.

Thank you
Old May 12th, 2020, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Westlake are cheap tires.
pump them up to reduce the p/s effort and stiffen up the body sway. cross rotate them if you have pulls. nothing else you can do. just make sure the slop is not worn steering and suspension parts.

I gave up going cheap on tires after fighting tire induced vibration and pulls. no Walmart or Canadian tire brand tires for me.
kellys are goodyears cheaper line and I have been happy with them for my ford Taurus
Old May 13th, 2020, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steering handled better this morning, now I can really feel the back end though,a bumped up the back to 35psi, pushing on the car the side to side slop in the sidewalls on the back has reduced drastically, bumped up the fronts to 38psi and will see how it feels tomorrow.

I know the suspension is not perfect in this car, but its not loose, sagging or worn to the point of noticeable bounce going over bumps. My wife had front ed work done a couple years ago, they did inner and outer tie rods, ball joints were good. plus it doesn't drive like this on the other set of tires.