Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1946 Chevy COE 2 ton rear axle upgrade

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2011, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1946 Chevy COE 2 ton rear axle upgrade

I just purchased a 1946 Chevy COE 2 ton that comes with a 2 speed 6.17 to 1 ratio dually rear axle made for hauling heavy loads. I hear the max speed only goes up to 43 mph and only gets 8 mpg! Not good! I would like to swap out the rear axle for something that gets better gas mileage and can drive on the freeway. The engine is a 235.5 Cubic inch 6 cyl, max brake horsepower is 93, max torque 192 ft. lbs, Net torque 182 ft. lbs. So whats the HP? The transmission is a Selective, Syncro-Mesh, stick, first 2.94, second 1.68, third Direct, reverse 2.94. I am considering replacing the rear axle with a 3.73. Is this something that can be done with out too much difficulty? Would this be the best rear end for this truck? I want to use the truck for occasional use in hauling and pulling and driving at freeway speeds. As you can see, I am new to this stuff but I want to make this truck usable in todays world. HELP!

Frank
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46 coe

Hi again, I placed this plea for help on my 1946 Chevy COE dually several months ago but haven't received any help or suggestions. Hasn't anyone out there had any experience in this area? Specifically using the same frame and stock engine (it is actually a 261 straight 6, just overhauled) and the transmission is not a syncro-mesh as I originally thought. I am upgrading certain items to make it a more daily use vehicle (resto-mod) and as a minimum I need to upgrade the rear axle to 3.73 and the front suspension to include a syncro-mesh transmission with a PTO for the dumper, power steering to include steering wheel upgrade and electrical upgrades. Need to go from those huge 20" wheels down to 16". If anyone out there can provide assistance on the rear axle and front suspension I would really appreciate it. You can email me at martin@xmission.com. Thank you for any help you can provide. It's important to know that I definitely want to keep the original frame and engine.

Franko