Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1990 Chev C1500 brake problem

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2009, 4:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Chev C1500 brake problem

My truck pulls hard to the right briefly when I apply brakes. And then pulls to the left briefly when I release the brakes.

Feels like it pulls to the right as the right caliper grabs but then feels fine and the truck straightens out when the left caliper grabs an instant later. Feels like the reverse when I release (right caliper releases first and the left caliper is an instant slower). Seems like a problem with the left caliper, maybe? This is very consistent, no variations, and happens at any speed. I'm not a mechanical guy, this is just how it feels to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by LSUfan71; October 23rd, 2009 at 5:02 AM. Reason: clarification, I think
Old October 23rd, 2009, 4:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Oh, just had rotors turned and new brake pads only 2 weeks ago by a local mechanic. This problem was happening before the brake job.
Old October 24th, 2009, 5:54 PM
Professional Mechanic

sounds like either the sliders are sticking or one of your calipers is. i have seen the sliders seize in the caliper brackets and i have seen some mechanics torch them to get em out causing the slider to warp a bit. try removing the sliders to see if they are true and straight and free. if that is not the problem you should probably be looking into replacing the calipers as a pair. well your in there look for any degradation of the brake hoses and make sure fluid when the brake is applied comes through ok
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok, thanks, I'll get on it.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:45 PM
CF Junior Member

i had this same thing happen on my 96 i got after it had been sitting in a field for 2 years, i had to replace the black line going to the caliper. after a few years the linings break down from the brake fluid and the inside will collapse, the result is the brake hangs when you let off the brakes because the fluid cant push back in, the side that was not grabbing when first applying the brakes i had to use a c clamp and force the pistion to move (not usually the recommended way to do it.) but after that it worked fine, my father in law still drives it daily.