Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1995 c1500 dies in gear... low idle

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2014, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 c1500 dies in gear... low idle

I'm usually a research type guy, but i've exhausted my resources...

I have a 1995 c1500 305 5.0L truck, I had problems with my spark plug wires grounding, so i replaced them after work one day, immediately after my truck started to act funny. I'd put it in drive and the idle would drop to 300-500 and eventually choke out. Thinking maybe i disconnected something by accident i went ahead and checked everything near the spark wires, and unfortunately everything was in place.

The odd thing is, that when i get it to around 30-40 mph it drives okay, of course i have a loss of power, i can floor it and never get above 2.5k rpm.

i was thinking maybe defective wires, but i went back to my old wires and still the same problem

Things i've done in the last 20k miles:
Cap and Rotor
Rebuilt TBI and TBI Injectors
Replaced EGR Valve
Wires and Plugs
Replaced Coolant temp sensor (near thermostat, couldnt find a shop that had the one in the block nearby)
MAP Sensor
IAC

I keep thinking it is something electrical but i'm not sure since it doesnt want to throw a code, i do get a SES light, but when i try to pull it, i just get flashing that has no code to it.

I also blew smoke into the intake and noticed it leaks a little around the brake booster (where it goes into intake, but i've had this leak for years) and seat of the IAC, i checked my torque on the IAC and it was fine. I read maybe it is normal, but when i turn off my truck i can hear a whistle from the IAC seat.

I'm just worried because it is my only form of transportation, i've been borrowing a friends car for a couple days now, but i hate to do that.

Thank you for any response