Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2000 Silverado 1500, Auto Transmission fluid/filter change & DRAIN PLUG?

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2020, 10:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 Silverado 1500, Auto Transmission fluid/filter change & DRAIN PLUG?

Hey everyone,

Geeeez, why is it so hard to find the correct answers and get anything done right these days. I have a 2000 Silverado 1500, ext. cab, 4x4, auto. transmission with 230k miles on it. I've owned the truck for the past 4-5 years now, and I am pretty sure the original owner I bought it from said that he did service the transmission in the past. Apparently so, because it has an aftermarket transmission pan cover with a stripped drain plug! So, I need to help the correct drain plug to replace it? My local dealership doesn't know, and my google search is hard to trust.

So, I tried to do the job (transmission fluid, filter, and gasket change) myself this past weekend, and found out the hard way that the freaking transmission pan cover didn't want to come off very easily. I removed all the bolts, got fluid dumped all on me, and then couldn't get the damn cover out, it was stuck between the exhaust and some other stuff that I didn't want to tackle. So, I put the cover back on, filled the transmission fluid back up, and called my local mechanic for some help. So, I have an appointment to have them do the work and it's going to cost me a couple hours of labor.

So, as my search continues to find the correct drain plug? The uncooperative Stealership tells me that they don't know anything other than if I change the Transmission fluid and filter that I'm going to ruin the transmission! WTF? I've heard this before, that you shouldn't service the transmission if it's never been done before, but to the best of my knowledge and at the mercer of the previous owner, the transmission on my truck has been serviced before. I just thought that I'd ask on here to see if anyone knows anything and can help? Also, if someone happens to know the correct Transmission pan cover drain plug, please post a link?

Thanks so much for all your time and help!

Old November 24th, 2020, 2:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

it would help if you posted a photo of the pan.
Are you sure the plug is stripped? Usually the hole threads strip first. You might consider replacing with a factory pan.

Anyway, sounds like it will be up to the mechanic now.
Old November 24th, 2020, 3:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
it would help if you posted a photo of the pan.
Are you sure the plug is stripped? Usually the hole threads strip first. You might consider replacing with a factory pan.

Anyway, sounds like it will be up to the mechanic now.
Yeah, it's stripped alright, I tried a bunch of 6 point sockets before making any attempt at it, and a 15mm seemed to fit best on it, but I still couldn't get it to bite on it. I wasn't stupid aggressive with it either. I also tried a pair of vise grips on it, of course that didn't work either. I've attached a couple of pictures for ya. I really don't want to buy a whole new pan, especially the stock one without a drain plug for future service! Thanks!

Old November 24th, 2020, 4:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainTodd
Yeah, it's stripped alright, I tried a bunch of 6 point sockets before making any attempt at it, and a 15mm seemed to fit best on it, but I still couldn't get it to bite on it. I wasn't stupid aggressive with it either. I also tried a pair of vise grips on it, of course that didn't work either. I've attached a couple of pictures for ya. I really don't want to buy a whole new pan, especially the stock one without a drain plug for future service! Thanks!

You will have to bite it, drop the pan evenly as to drain it, be happy your pan has a drain plug, after you have the pan off, rework replacing the drain plug. This is IMO.
Old November 24th, 2020, 4:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
You will have to bite it, drop the pan evenly as to drain it, be happy your pan has a drain plug, after you have the pan off, rework replacing the drain plug. This is IMO.
Yep. However, that pan doesn't come off very easy, so I'm going to pay my mechanic to do the job with a lift. I'm just trying to find the right drain plug replacement for it before dropping it off for them to work on it? This way I can be sure that they put the right replacement drain plug back in!
Old November 24th, 2020, 4:30 PM
Super Moderator

Oh! You mean the plug head got rounded over. I thought you were talking about threads.

By the looks of it, the drain sits on a raised area which means the crud stays in the pan and doesn't drain out. What an awful design.

You said you wanted to do the filter, so pan's gotta come off anyway. The mechanic has access to a lot of parts distributors. It may be easier for them to source the plug.
Old November 24th, 2020, 6:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

That is a factory deep pan. The plug head is recessed to keep from being dragged and damaging the plug and ripping the pan. The plug is there to drain fluid but you are still supposed to drop the pan and change the filter and clean is all out. The filter and fluid change will not damage the transmission but if you flush all the fluid then there is that chance because that fresh fluid can be a shock to the clutches. That is why the trans fluid maintenance should not be overlooked. You can remove the pan by unbolting at the trans mount and then jacking it up for clearance for removal. To tell you the truth, this is all very common knowledge unless you have not been trained or been around services like this before. The drain plug likely got "rounded", not stripped because some idiot used a 12 point socket instead of a 6 point socket. I had that same pan and drain plug set up on my 2002 Tahoe.

It is hard to find the oe trans pan with the drain plug but the other pan without the drain plug will work as well.
Old November 24th, 2020, 7:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PNW NBS Z71
The plug head is recessed to keep from being dragged and damaging the plug and ripping the pan.
Yeah, that crossed my mind. But then why not put it on the side like oil pan drain plugs?
Old November 27th, 2020, 8:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by PNW NBS Z71
That is a factory deep pan. The plug head is recessed to keep from being dragged and damaging the plug and ripping the pan. The plug is there to drain fluid but you are still supposed to drop the pan and change the filter and clean is all out. The filter and fluid change will not damage the transmission but if you flush all the fluid then there is that chance because that fresh fluid can be a shock to the clutches. That is why the trans fluid maintenance should not be overlooked. You can remove the pan by unbolting at the trans mount and then jacking it up for clearance for removal. To tell you the truth, this is all very common knowledge unless you have not been trained or been around services like this before. The drain plug likely got "rounded", not stripped because some idiot used a 12 point socket instead of a 6 point socket. I had that same pan and drain plug set up on my 2002 Tahoe.

It is hard to find the oe trans pan with the drain plug but the other pan without the drain plug will work as well.
Thanks PNW NBS Z71! That definitely is the answer/information that I was searching for! Like I said, at this point, I'm taking it over to my local mechanics and paying them to do the job. I hate it, but I'm getting too old to be rolling around on my knees, back and shoulders. Considering, I'm sure they will be doing the job on the lift, do you know if they will still have to unbolt at the trans mount, or is there another way to get the pan out? Also, I still haven't found a sure fit replacement drain plug/bolt! I want to get one before taking it to the mechanic. Anyone know where I can find the right one? Thanks again!
Old November 27th, 2020, 9:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the pan comes out if you pry down on the ypipe. hard to do without a lift

Quick Reply: 2000 Silverado 1500, Auto Transmission fluid/filter change & DRAIN PLUG?