Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2002 Chevy Cavalier overheating?`

Old October 28th, 2008, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Chevy Cavalier overheating?`

The little 2002 Chevy with the 4 cyl. engine (40,000 miles) has developed a coolant/overheating problem, and I'm wondering if someone on here might offer a suggestion or two as to what is wrong and what might be done to fix it?

The car started running hot all of a sudden. Couldn't seem to find a reason for it at first. Later got to where it wouldn't start at all. Took out a couple of sparkplugs and turned it over. Coolant sprayed out of the spark plug holes!! Is it head gasket? Intake gasket? Or what??

ThanksI appreciate your time
Old October 28th, 2008, 9:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2002 Chevy Cavalier overheating?`

im fairly sure that would be your head gasket. is it under warranty? hope it is. that sucks. that happened to my buddys 92 explorer. yet it still ran. never hydro locked and one cylinder was half full when we took the head off. coolant poured out like nuts when we removed plugs. if and when you get that bad boy fixed, change the oil as well. my buddy found some lovely froth in the head from coolant and oil combination and well changing the oil eliminates any possible further damage of coolant being where it shouldnt.
Old October 29th, 2008, 5:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Chevy Cavalier overheating?`

Sounds like your thermostat stuck and you didn't notice it in time. I agree with the blown head gasket. Not a real tough job, but after putting it back together, I'd run a can of engine flush through it and change the oil and filter.